• Register Today It's free!

Audio Question for Ford SUVs...

snair2

Reaction score
City, State
Elmont, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
ok i was wondering if you guys also noticed this. there is a big difference in sound quality between the stock explorer audio equipment (head unit/amp, and speakers) compared to the eddie bauer audio equipment, right?

i have a 1997 Ford expedition eddie bauer, and the sound is much clearer and just plain better sounding then the stock ford audio in my 1998 explorer. i was wondering, what would be a good decent and cheap upgrade i should have to do for my explorer to get the same or better sound out of it.

for example, would i have to upgrade the head unit/amp or the speakers, or both inorder to get that awesome sound i hear in the EB expedition?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah. Ford's Premium Audio System in Explorers only pumps out 80watts while the JBL/MACH systems pump out 290watts peak. If you want to make it sound cleaner, you can start off by getting new speakers, and components for the front so you have a little tweeter, that usually give you better imaging.

what do you mean new components for the front exactly? like a new head unit and amp?

it sounds like you probably have the base system in the x and the premium in the expedition.

i would recommend upgrading to a aftermarket head unit with new speakers in the doors of the x. 6.5" components up front and 6.5" coaxials in the rear. this will cost around 250 for the hu and 300 for the two sets of speakers for some great stuff.

later then you can upgrade further using the new head units preouts to a 5 channel amplifier and run a 10" sub in the rear cargo pocket! it will sound great just using the amp in the aftermarket head unit (can i recommend the panasonic or clarion) but adding that 5 channel will make the front speakers sound amazing and the sub will fill in all the frequencies your missing. adding this stuff will be about another 300 for the amp (mtx i have in mind for you) and 125 for the sub (mtx 8000 10")

cost/quality wise i recommend mtx for the sub and amp, but would suggest that you listen to the door speakers and play with a few head units before purchasing any of those.

ahh- by "components" he means speakers with tweeters and mids seperate that come with a crossover to send the correct frequencies to each one.

a coaxial speaker has the tweeter and mid in one piece.

so if i go with a set of replacement 4 new speakers (front and back of the vehicle) (after markets), i will definately see a huge improvement in sound, and will not have to replace my amp/head unit?

There will be a difference, but it depends on the speakers you pick.... in my experience its not worth buying expensive coaxials or nice components and running them off the stock HU, but if you pick a sensible, semi-low wattage, high efficienct speaker the sound should be better....

i think you really should buy a new head unit in the 200-300 range that comes with an internal amp, internal x-overs, and parametric equalization. its worth the money over using the stock stuff, a hu will make whichever speakers you buy sound a ton better than the stock base model stuff.

Back