Audiodude's 302 swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audiodude's 302 swap

Hey everyone. I decided it was finally time to get rid of the 4.0 and swap in a 302. I have the motor and tranny in the truck already, and I am starting to hook everything up. Im using a carbed 302 from an 83 F150, a C6 tranny, and a Borg Warner manual T-case. What I need to know is, what is everyone using for a remote oil filter, and where are you getting it? Also, what headers are everyone using; James duff 302 swap headers, shorty headers? Do factory 5.0 explorer manifolds fit?
Thanks everyone, and I will try to keep this updated

-Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, about a week ago I got everything done that I needed to in order to start driving the truck. I fired it up, and put it in gear to find out that the only gear that works is park. So im ditching the C6 and putting in a 4 speed manual. I already got the 4 speed, so now I just need a clutch and break pedal assembly, a master cylinder, a slave cylinder, a flywheel, and a clutch. Its going to be a while before its all done though. Just thought I should update this thread.

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will want to change PCM's as well or slight wiring changes, I am not too familiar with the C6 so maybe not...is it computer controlled at all or TV cable like AOD?

Get this sucker going! I wanna see it too..

410Fortune said:
You will want to change PCM's as well or slight wiring changes, I am not too familiar with the C6 so maybe not...is it computer controlled at all or TV cable like AOD?

Get this sucker going! I wanna see it too..

I hadnt hooked up any of the wiring for the c6. it doesnt need wires except for the neutral safety switch, and the reverse lights, and I wasnt going to use those. I wont need to change any wiring or anything, so I just gotta put it in, and it should go. Progress is moving pretty slow right now though.

I hear that! hahaha

The trucks almost done. Just need to put in my new c6, and get manifolds for it, then do the exhaust, and it will be road ready.

my grandpa found me a 302 a few weeks ago and its carb'd. im wondering if its easier to install a carb'd 302 into my explorer or a fuel injected one, or if there is really a difference other than one is carb'd and ones efi. thanks.

*****inexplorer said:
my grandpa found me a 302 a few weeks ago and its carb'd. im wondering if its easier to install a carb'd 302 into my explorer or a fuel injected one, or if there is really a difference other than one is carb'd and ones efi. thanks.

carb'd is easy as hell to install. The only wiring that needs to be done is for the ignition box. I used an MSD 6A for mine and it was like an 8 wire hook up and it took about 30 minutes to wire up. BUT, if I did the swap again, I would probly go fuel injected just because it runs cleaner and you will get better mileage.

Back