Aussie Locker for DANA 35 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aussie Locker for DANA 35

Testing, Testing...

Did you try it out yet? i'm gonna live my front aussie locker dreams through you until i scrape up enough cash to get my own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tested

yep, think you can call this a test ?

(will post more later after work, went to URE to test it)

Happened to meet up with zhanx in URE while testing his new aussie locker. AWESOME!! We have the same lift; the differences are: he is running 33x12.5 all terrains, compared to my 31x10.5 TSL radials, he has no sway bars(way more flex), I have both, and of course his locker in the front. Let me tell you..........it is like night and day, even with my extremely rough tires, he was able to crawl more places due to his locked front diff. and better flexing suspension. I had a great time for my first time wheeling at URE, and learning how important flex and locking differentials are.

stevewes2004 said:
he has no sway bars(way more flex)
That's just a funny statement about an ifs explorer, but I know what you mean. ;)
stevewes2004 said:
he was able to crawl more places due to his locked front diff. and better flexing suspension.
This was kind of a given, no matter what tires you had.

Can't wait to read more about it or see pictures of your test trip. :thumbsup:

Test Trip to URE

OK, went out to uWharrie National Forest. Had a blast.. but.. it was too easy.

Did the usual stopped at the outpost grab'd soda's and a pass and headed out..need to back up.

round trip was 155 miles.. First trip with the locker.. no noises.. none surprised me.. heard many lockers in the past but not this.. it was nice.. i have a vibration at 60 but i threw the spare on the front (not balanced) so it could have been it. you can slighty and very very lightly feel (if your paying attention for it) the locker at slow speed turns but not a high speeds.

ok back to URE. on the way in I saw another lifted x and i was like no way.. he was wheelin alone so we hooked up and did rocky mountain loop. last time this trail denied me hard.. this time. cake. i did a few test crawls up rocks and stuff like that.. its nice to be able to out wheel most of the jeeps :D bet they hate that.

We cut over to the slab pile which i flexed on a sec and hit the sawmill and wolf den to the trail head (both are easy trails for stockers). Then it was a quick break for the women and off to Dickey Bell

Dickey Bell gave me lots of problems last and the trail was in worst shape this time if it would have been wet i think stevewes2004 would have needed more than a couple of straps. Without the locker I would have never made it. thank god for clearance. Dickey bell was the only place where i needed to drop in 1st and give it gas to make it. the locker was sweet and pulled me up the hill just fine..

Ok my thoughts. for URE minus Daniel (did have the time and i want a winch first) it made the trails easy. I took every hard line i could and still walked over it. Last time i watch nissanboy do the same in his x which is also locked. So i wanted one.. I guess i'll run a few more trails and move on to hard stuff like tellico. Now that i have a front locker I know what i've been missing. I can get myself in to place I think i was never meant to. Which is always fun.

The locker preformed awsome the whole time it was great to know i had it there when i need it. Now i know i need a longer rear brake line cause i can flew it to the max something i couldn't do without a front locker...

On the way back from URE it rained the whole way.. good test for the rain. problems : zero, today drving in the rain nothing, which is great.

Only problem now is I have to do more mods to go where i am going to go next. now for the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0363_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0363_586x440.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0365_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0365_586x440.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0368_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0368_586x440.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 580

more pics

ttt

Attachments

• IMG_0370_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0370_586x440.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0371_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0371_586x440.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0382_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0382_586x440.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 547

and more

tttt

Attachments

• IMG_0383_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0383_586x440.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0385_586x440.jpg
    IMG_0385_586x440.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 592

aussie locker

if you buy one and this is why let aussie locker know.. maybe they'll send me the rear for "testing"

Nice write up. I hope this works out for Aussie Locker :thumbsup:

one day i think my x will be like yours. but white and with doors and mm.. ifs .... :D

Great write-up. Glad you're happy with the locker. They appear to be awesome (and cheap) lockers! :thumbsup:

zhanx said:
Only problem now is I have to do more mods to go where i am going to go next.

LOL Thats how it always goes. I wheeled for 5 years locked front and rear then went to open diffs and hated it. You will love haveing a locker. May I recomend you next set of modifications include some rocke sliders under the doors.

RockRanger said:
LOL Thats how it always goes. I wheeled for 5 years locked front and rear then went to open diffs and hated it. You will love haveing a locker. May I recomend you next set of modifications include some rocke sliders under the doors.

you may and i will say thats tommorrow, my welder buddy will be measuring for them after dinner and the fun stuff.

i cant wait to try this sucker out. WORK IS SLOWING ME DOWN haha

so get out the dremel and get to work

one week later review. Ok everthing is fine got like 300 miles on it now checked the fluid.. and discovered a few issues one my passenger side cv hub whatever seal is leaking..great.. and i was a little low on fluid. also still need to track down that new vibration i got.. gonna throw the old tire back on and see if it goes away. Starts around 45-50 or so. no a bad one just a little one.. thinking it might be from grinding only one side of the carrier when i installed the locker.

while i was under there i checked the rear axle.. weirdness there, it was almost half empty with no sign of leakage. there were two "maybe" spots that i cleaned up; will check on tommorrow after i get out of work (one is the diff cover which i whacked the crap out of on rocky mountain loop thanks to great spotting). But I cant see it being the cover becuase i had a guard on it. Other one might be the drivers side outter axle seal.. maybe a little lite seeping going on there. And i found out what i broke the rock with on kodiak rock (that was great spotting by my wife on that one.) i now have a bent dampener on my transfer....

What does it all mean? I can now break more stuff due to having a locker which i love. But i can add skid plates, after christmas. Next review in a month ater a long road trip and sometime in the snow :)

when you figure out all the imperfections we can do it right in mine when we do my gears....lol

Bout time you got a locker... now you need 35's and youll be indentical to mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

changed the fluid today, hit 500 miles on it. fluid was good and clean (which makes me happy). thought it was kind of a waste of fluid afterwards but you know if you made mistakes when you do it. Just need to get off my butt tomorrow and fix that seal and get my spare balanced out. That should take care of my vibration.

Back