• Register Today It's free!

Aussie Locker up front?

tha704mafia

Reaction score
City, State
MOORESVILLE, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I was pondering on getting a aussie locker or something like a true trac up front in my 99 x, and as i was looking a aussie's site i saw this

Front Axle Installations
The installation manual provided with your Aussie Locker contains information on proper front axle installations. The Aussie Locker works well in front axles for 4 Wheel Drive vehicles when they are installed in a vehicle with locking hubs or those equipped with front axle disconnect.

Under no circumstances should the Aussie Locker be installed in the front of a full- time 4 wheel drive vehicle.

To prevent damage to the drive line no four wheel drive vehicle should be driven on the highway with the front hubs locked and the 4 wheel drive engaged. The Aussie Locker in the front differential of a 4 wheel drive vehicle (excepting full-time 4WD), properly equipped and installed, provides dramatic off road traction and very good on-highway handling.

This made me question can you only put a locker in the front if you have a manual style transfer case and not the automatic like i have from ford becuase it will mess up the driveline or do they have to put that notice up there so when it locks unexpectedly and inexprienced drivers run off the road and wreck they are not relieable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is a bad idea to run a locker in an awd vehcile, lockers under power turn into spools and the turning will be near impossible

even with an aussie i thought they were supposed to be great as far as a locker turning and i didnt think i was considered awd because i can shift into 4wd high and low

...the only problem with that is, you can never switch to 4x2 and thats why the aussie wouldn't work for you...;)

ahh ok gotcha now a selectable would work would it not

selectable would work... however... i havent seen any for your explorer, except maybe an arb air locker....

The Aussie won't lock unless under power from the driveshaft, so unless in 4wd, it won't cause problems. Others have used them with no issues up front. Up until his SAS, 95explorerboy(IIRC) used one. It wouldn't work on AWD, but a manually shifted 4x4 or auto with a brown wire mod, will work fine.

i think that new ected has one for the front

...you would have to look into the other manuf.'s suggestion's...i do know that a few people have swapped their transfer case to a 4406 i believe, just so they could have 4x2 and save fuel also...just a thought..:scratch:

what exactley is the brown wire mod i have heard everyone talk about it what is it?

...you would have to look into the other manuf.'s suggestion's...i do know that a few people have swapped their transfer case to a 4406 i believe, just so they could have 4x2 and save fuel also...just a thought..

i dont have a V8 i have the V6 OHV so i dont have the option of the 4406 i have got a select trac or what ever ford calls it

Ok, with the V6 drivetrain, you'd need the brown wire mod if you have control trac, to prevent the auto 4wd from engaging. But from what I understand, it will work. The front locker can cause odd behavior when driving on snow and ice- I don't know if thats an issue for you or not.

The front locker is an issue for turning with the front drive shaft powered. In a straight line any locker or spool is fine. So the brown wire mod disabling the front driveshaft will allow the Control Trac vehicles to use a front locker.

The real question should be how much locking occurs, what is the effect in turns on normal roads, in snow or ice. Will the locking be enough to make turning harder or more dangerous?

...i do know that with my manual hubs, once they are locked even if i am not in 4wd, the aussie is in control...;)

The front locker is an issue for turning with the front drive shaft powered. In a straight line any locker or spool is fine. So the brown wire mod disabling the front driveshaft will allow the Control Trac vehicles to use a front locker.

The real question should be how much locking occurs, what is the effect in turns on normal roads, in snow or ice. Will the locking be enough to make turning harder or more dangerous?

If the Aussie is working correctly, it should release easily and not be locked when turning, at least on dry pavement. On ice, I'd guess that it could "stick" and cause the vehicle to want to continue in a straight line. It certainly would in 4wd on ice.

You could install a selectable differential from a 96 or 97 and it wouldn't be an issue at all. I put in a selectable diff, with no locker, so my driveshaft wouldn't be turning at all times. The reduced rotating mass really helped power and acceleration as well as fuel mileage.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188359

cool i read the brown wire mod and it seems like it wouldnt really help my problem so i dont know i think i will have to go with a auburn ected or a true trac

Back