Aussie Lockers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aussie Lockers

Aussie explorer , Mate I've sent you a message also I've just done the 2 in lift looks great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no you need an open carrier to install an aussie locker($250.00).

only powertrax makes locker($460.00) that it can go into your limited slip carrier, but for you is cheaper to find an open carrier from a junk yard($30-60) and put the aussie locker on it.

let us know if you have more questions

welllll
i could used a little help with changing it i have never done anything with a carrier how do u figure out if u have it set up right

you all seem to know a good bit about this locker. how often/ what is the probability of breaking a cv joint due to the use of a front locker? also, if you are familiar with it, how hard is it to fix/replace a cv joint? and is it something you can do on the trail? Thanks

I recently installed an Aussie Locker in my 8.8 rear. It works well, haven't been able to test it offroad just yet, still breaking in the gears. It releases well when turning while coasting, is very quiet, I can only hear it click if I roll the windows down. It requires a different driving style on pavement to keep from scrubbing tires, turning sharply under power tends to do so. I'll test it out soon offroad.

Since this was bumped... I also just installed an Aussie on the rear of my 98 Sport. More info after I get somewhere where I can get a wheel or two off the ground.

i too just installed my aussie locker, but it was for the front dana 35 :D

The next Big Bear run should be fun! :thumbsup:

but the big bear run, no one is showing interest on that thread...let's do it next weekend...kinda easy though so i can break in my new gears at the same time...:D

Just ran two local runs (Cleghorn and 2N17x, search California forums) with an Aussie in the rear and I did all but the 2 most insanely difficult hills with no trouble at all (only 2" lift and 32"s). Places I was churning up dirt and going nowhere two weeks ago were relatively simple today.

The Aussie is still a bit annoying on the street due to an occasional bang or lurch when accelerating halfway through a turn, so I'm not sure I'd want it if I was commuting on mountain highways every day, but for medium to heavy trail use, I can heartily recommend this locker.

i can testify to ritsui's locker trial run...he forgot to mention we ran both those runs in the same day and still had time for a bar b q....thanks guys...

as for my locker up front....how did i ever not have one before...:scratch:... i love the damn thing.... i have driven a lot of ford f-250 4x4's, mainly stock set ups with bfg's a/t's and have always slid this way or that way climbing...with my new aussie locker up front, it just walk over the rocks and it now drives like truely as a 4x4 should....it does really take some getting used to steering while in 4 low...but then again, it will go anywhere you point it...:D

Guys, So good to hear your enjoying the Aussie . It is one of the best mod's I've ever done but as you now know it's next to perfect for what it is designed for . I did the brown wire mod just for insurance . I put a rocket switch just above the mirror adjuster no worries but yes when you accelerate out of corners it does tend to clunk but you drive to conditions and sometimes you'll hear a clunk as she slides across the beds but it's letting you know "Hey I'm still here and working" Cheers Barry

Back