• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Austin TX. PD pulled 60 PIU's for Carbon Monoxide issue

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I'm really curious where its actually coming from.

Apparently so is Ford.:dunno:

I'm not buying this at all, this issue surfaced in 2011 and is far less complex than rocket science or brain surgery. It's a simple vehicle with finite possibilities of where either untreated or treated carbon monoxide is coming from. A solid engineering student in college with the right equipment could figure this one out IMO.

613GT500

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
My mother has gotten sick from the Explorer... She hardly ever wants to ride in it. I got a job after graduating from college and with a lot of stop and go. I get a lot of headaches but I thought it was the commute. I don't know what action I have to take but I've reported this to Ford before. How do I test for carbon monoxide?
Plug in a carbon monoxide detector.

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
I'm sure any shop that specializes in water leaks can find where its entering also, they have ultrasonic equipment etc etc. If water can enter so can exhaust or fumes or whatever it is theyre looking for these past 6 years

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
I'm sure a "smoke test" can be done to see if it enters the rear/underside of the vehicles.

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
In another link they said they replaced the clips for the rear spoiler also, well those clips have a rubber grommet, I hope they put updated ones in. Once you pull on the spoiler to remove it, it warps the sheet metal which allows even more gas or whatever to enter into the hatch since the surface isn't level anymore. It would probably never allow water to enter inside the cabin since water is heavier than air and just pours out the hatch drains, on the other hand exhaust gas can accumulate and seep thru the rear hatch, from what I understand. If this is all they found they need to look harder, I used probably over half a caulking tube to seal the back of mine:rolleyes:.
I hope it doesn't take this long to fix the cracking sealer around roof rail bolts, that water gets into the side airbags:eek: