Australian 1998 XLT 3" BL on 33's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Australian 1998 XLT 3" BL on 33's

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've shown my pretty face around here...used to be on here way back when it was all a big secret...now everyone knows about this site! Cheers Rick!

The more the merrier, I say.

Anyway, here's an entry from the most isolated capital city in the world - Perth, Western Australia. The body lift has been sitting on my shelf for 6 years, maybe longer before I decided to get off my ass and install it. Thanks to the info on this forum, it took 8 hours by myself in my mechanic's tool filled garage, pretty much trouble free (touch wood - yes, I'm grabbing my crotch).

Still got the 4.56 regear and Tru-trac to go in, but otherwise, it's a 6 year project that finally sees the light of day!

The day after I installed the lift I managed to roll my ankle playing bball and having taken my running boards off many years ago, it's been a bit of an obstacle getting in and out these last few days.

Brief spec overview:

1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC
5 speed Auto
2.25" Mercury Straight through exhaust (Cat back)
KKM Airfilter
Powerchip rechip - tuned for 98 octane (174kW and 383Nm)
Optima Yellow top battery
Permacool Tranny aux filter
B&M Shiftplus
Various Autometer guages - A/F ratio, Trans Temp and Vacuum

Torsion twist, add-a-leaf and soon some extended shackles
Koni Red shocks - adjustable for wear
3" PA Bodylift

15x8 AR Baja rims
33" Yokohama Geolandar Mud Terrains
BOCAR Nudge bar with Nane 100w driving lamps

Eclipse AVN6000 - integrated DVD, MP3 and Sat Nav
5 1/4" infinity Kappa splits in the front
6" Kappa coaxials in the rear
12" Kappa sub
240.4 Rockford Fosgate punch for the front stage and rear (80w/ch)
55.2 Rockford Fosgate punch for the sub (110w)

More to come...

441340_14_full.jpg

441340_15_full.jpg

441340_16_full.jpg

441340_17_full.jpg

441340_13_full.jpg

441340_18_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, so those pics are junk...will get new ones up ASAP

looks real clean man. great work!

Your truck is frickin awsome!!! :D

Looks good man. Is that a bull bar of some sort on the front bumper? I like the look of it.

Thanks guys.

It's a nudge bar - pretty much so the mum's in the carpark with their own big SUV's don't scratch my pretty hood paint.

When I first lifted it and put the tyres on, it looked absolutely MASSIVE! But now when I look at her, she seems normal - it looks stock to me. Maybe I need to lift it more and put bigger tyres on...

I think she looks in proportion now. Before with the 31's she looked like a body builder that did all upper body and didn't bother about legs or calves...

Will post some interior pics when I host them somewhere...

Cheers,

BK

More pics...

441340_5_full.jpg

The Yoko's. Haven't taken them offroad yet (just got them) but on road they are pretty noisy. Mostly at lower speeds. Cruising speeds they aren't that much different from my old BFG muds.

441340_6_full.jpg

The AVN 6000 (Aust only model) and the centre console shifter for the automatics we have here in Australia.

441340_7_full.jpg

Zoolander on the DVD player.

441340_8_full.jpg

The flip down screen showing the dual DVD slot loaders for dual zone play. You can watch different shows front and rear. But you lose out on Sat Nav (the lower slot) if you do.

And again...

441340_9_full.jpg

Subenclosure that houses the 12" Infinity Kappa, Rockford Amp and Capacitor. It used to look slick, but after years of using the load space to haul anything and everything, it's become a bit hacked up...

441340_10_full.jpg

The rear view camera.

441340_11_full.jpg

Lit up at night. Dims when the lights are on. I like it!

You've got a great truck. I love that color combo. and ive never seen that center console before, do all the right hand explorers have that one? But one question, where do you have cupholders for the front?

Yeah, all RHD's are like that. Cupholders are between the shifter and the centre storage compartment (which is shortened compared to yours). The e-brake handle is also in the centre console. Pics to come if you want.

Ya, would you mind posting a couple of pics? I am assuming from your post that it is under that little door beneath the HVAC controls, so could you open up the door for the picture? Thanks.

man this is one if the best looking ex's i've seen on here. congrats.

mounty71,

The little door is the ash tray. After the ash tray is the auto shifter, after the shifter is the e-brake and 2xcupholders, after the cupholders is the centre console with rear seat audio controls (stock) and rear seat cupholders.

The pic will show it all clearly.

aeaglenfitch,

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the comment.

Cheers.

New pics posted in original post...

Damned good lookin' XLT mate, like the stance with the 33s :)

UPDATE: Installed the 4.56's and Detroit TruTrack.

Driveability wise, haven't notice the Detroit - dry pavement, easy driving. Will see what happens when the gears have settled and I can hit it a bit harder. Should rain next week, so we'll see about that too.

Gears - well, she cruises at higher RPM's of course, so she seems a bit frenetic to me now, but that's compared to the 3.73's and 31" tyres before...she was a big lazy cruiser, but still quick off the mark.

Now with the big 33" boots and more rolling weight, she needs the 4.56's feel as quick, but adds about 2-300rpm to highway speeds. Definitely helps around town with the bigger tyres though.

Latest "mod" - as luck would have it, I was around at my mechanic's place today picking up a part. Got into the truck and it wouldn't start! Turns out to be a very dead started motor.

As unlucky as it was to have a break down, it was was certainly a great place for it to happen - right on my mech's doorstep. Although he wasn't too happy when I spent an hour clogging his driveway up and blocking his traffic while I was trying to get the starter out...

Cheers.

i was just trying to find out how to put the pictures of my truck up. i just joined this sight so, i dotn know much about it. but nice truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I first lifted it and put the tyres on, it looked absolutely MASSIVE! But now when I look at her, she seems normal - it looks stock to me. Maybe I need to lift it more and put bigger tyres on...
Haha, same thing happened to me when I went to 33's. And when I went to 35s. And now with the 37s.:rolleyes:
Warning, it will never stop! :eek:

good to see you're back, MC. :thumbsup:

Back