• Register Today It's free!

Auto 4x4 Hubs

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
Been trying to fix the 4x4 on my 92. Had no lights when I pressed the electronic shift buttons so I tried the usual shift motor fix. Got the motor to respond and lights to come on on the dash, but when I stomped the gas, only the back tires spun (this was on snow btw). I know I was in 4 lo cause I couldn't drive fast as it wouldn't upshift. But no front wheel spin. How do the hubs engage? Is it possible that the shift motor is turning the pin to the right spot but the hubs aren't engaging, thus no 4x4??
Any help appreciated.
Thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might want to look at the hubs they might be worn. if so its cheeper to replace with manual hubs

Search for "Auto hubs". You will find more information than you ever wanted to know about auto hubs.

manual hubs are the answer

i replaced my auto hubs with manual hubs. just make sure that you purchase the conversion kit with the new hubs. i bought mile marker hubs and conversion kit through my local auto zone store. it took me about 45 minutes to replace both sides, and the first thirty of that was on the first hub, once you get the first one figured out, the second one is a breeze. manual hubs are worth your time and money, i outfit my explorer with manuals for about 180.00

Specops is right on...most of the time was spent ont he first side heh.

I replaced mine with WARN hubs from 4wheelparts. 205 for hubs and conversion kit.

I took the autohubs off the other day to clean the greas out of them to see if that might be the problem. Wiped the spindle clean and soaked the hub with ATF. What I did notice on the first one was the entire assembly of the hub slid out. This was great for cleaning it, but when I got to the other side, low and behold the assembly didn't slide out, making me think that they aren't supposed to slide out of the hub. Would this pose a problem for it not working? I still don't have front weel spin once I clean them and put back on. Hear some grinding a bit when I hit the 4x4 button, but no front tire action. Could it be possible that only the one hub is bad, but being an open dif, I get no wheel spin from the good hub?
Can you let me know if the hub assembly is supposed to stay inside the hub?
Thanks!

There is one large Spring Ring that should keep the assembly together.
Someth'n wrong there.

To see if it's just the hubs. Put it in 4WD and have someone see if the 'U' joints are turning up by the Steering Knuckles. If they both turn, it's the Hubs.

I know it's the hubs, just not sure if they're both bad, or just the one that has the assembly slide out. Would the good one not transfer power to the wheel (ie. open dif) if the other side is bad?

You could try putting the 'Good' hub on the drivers side of the car. that is the 'drive side. see if that tire turns. You have to do this op on jacks. I think if it was on the ground the diff would transfer to the dead hub and you would get nothing.

Back