Auto 4x4 Sucks

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I'm not sure if I like this auto 4x4 feature. It seems way over sensitive and wants to engage it the slightest slip of the rear wheels. While I was in the Smokie Mtns, the turn off to our cabin was kinda tight and had a steep grade and the Auto 4x4 would want to kick in even though the rear tires were not slipping. It was like the inside rear tire may have momentarily slipped in the road debris on the side of the road while the suspension was flexed and then bamm, 4 wheel, I would let off gas and then it would disengage. Then I would some how temporarily feel like it was handling different, wasn't sure if it was engaged of not.

Same thing happend while traveling up a kinda steep windy gravel road. As soon as I came to the turn the 4 wheel kicked in, then out, then in at the next turn. I felt like I should just lock it in 4x4 high just to keep it from engaging/disengaging.

I never had this problem with my 91. I might had a little wheel slippage on the corners, but nothing worthy of engaging 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search for "brown wire mod". You can add a switch so that it's in 2wd instead of auto. And use the switch to determine which setting you want it in. I'm assuming you have a "Auto" - "4High" - "4Low" 4x4 selector switch. That's what is has to look like to be able to do this mod.

I read about the brown wire mod long ago, even before purchasing my 02. Not too sure if that mod works on the 3rd gen push-button type, I assume so, it functions the same. I'm just not too crazy about electrical mods requiring cutting wires and wiring in switches, too hard to return to stock if selling. Now if I could disconnect a wire to remove the auto feature and not affect 4 high and 4 low.

Putting it back to stock is simple. Its only one wire man. This is not a major deal and is the best bet for what you want to do. That is if it works on the 3rd gens

There have been alot of issues with the Third Generation 4x4 controllers. Either that is causing the problem, or you GEM may just need to be reflashed to make the engagement less harsh.

False Slip

Your 4x4 is probably engaging not because your tires are slipping, but because when you are making the sharp turns one of your rear wheels is turning faster than the other. In an open differential rear-end this is basically the same as "slipping". But, I agree...I do not think it works well. At speeds too fast for 4-low, I have to make the rear tires "slip" before the front will engage, so basically I am forcing a loss of control in the rear to get some control in the front.

bcuzican said:
Your 4x4 is probably engaging not because your tires are slipping, but because when you are making the sharp turns one of your rear wheels is turning faster than the other. In an open differential rear-end this is basically the same as "slipping". But, I agree...I do not think it works well. At speeds too fast for 4-low, I have to make the rear tires "slip" before the front will engage, so basically I am forcing a loss of control in the rear to get some control in the front.

The system checks the speed difference between the front and rear driveshafts (wheels), not the difference in speeds between wheels on the same axle. It is the difference in speeds front to rear AND side to side when turning that caused axle bind in 4Hi and 4Low as the front outside tire is alway spinning faster in a turn as it has to travel farther than the other front and both rear wheels do in a turn.

Check your tire pressures first :)

I understnd wheel speed and binding...

My complaint is the overacting 4x4 module. The program should allow minor speed differences before kicking in the 4x4.

The system does, but the computer program in the GEM goes haywire sometimes, which is why Ford has to reflash with new parameters to eliminate the harsh engagement. This was very common in '95-97 Ex's when Ford was perfecting the system.

I have read about getting yhe GEM reflashed. Is this usually free, or will the dealer charge me for upgrading the "software".

The dealer will more than likely charge you, unless you happen to still be in warranty.

Back