• Register Today It's free!

auto 4x4 switch rolling road dyno

autos

Reaction score
City, State
Cumbria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
hi, putting my ex on the rolling road tomorrow, how does the ex auto 4x4 switch work? i was spinning my rear wheels in the snow last night to see if the 4x4 will engage, no lights came on the dash i would have liked to see the auto 4x4 working then i could pull out some fuses and see it not working! anyone know an easy way of ensuring that it does not try and jump off the rolling road rollers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AFAIK you cannot put it on the 2 wheel rollers without screwing up your transfer case.
Have a quick read of the first bit of this thread HERE

you can do it, iv dyno'd mine 4 times now, pull the multiplug off the transfer motor for rwd

Yes, you will upset the hell out of things - and as a further warning, there are more subtle ways to screw up too!!

I've just acquired some very healthy Goodrich T/As for my box of fun but didn't notice till I put them on that they were only 235s. Ive got 265s on my motor and because they were on the same rims I've already got, I didn't look at the size (they came off a 98 North Face).

The thing is, I'd only put the rears on as my fronts have quite a bit of life left.

Well it coimplained like you wouldn't believe!!

Makes sense though now I've checked - there's 63 revolutions per mile difference between the two sizes so the 4WD detects this as slip or spin and tries to engage.

Don't do it - it's not nice!!

They're back in the garage now while I ponder. 235s are a bit titchy looking anyway..........

Back