• Register Today It's free!

Auto Dim Headlights not working

k9gold

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Last night on the way home my auto dimming headlights wouldn't work. I've looked in the manual but can't find a fuse that shows the auto dim headlights. Granted I could have missed it in the lists of fuses but have looked several times and don't see it. Everything else seems to be working fine. Nothing in front of the camera on windshield and certainly not to cold for it to work and switch turned to auto on dash. I'll take it in for repair but thought I'd check fuse first, if I could find it. Anyone know which one it is? I also did a search but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks in advance for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last night on the way home my auto dimming headlights wouldn't work. I've looked in the manual but can't find a fuse that shows the auto dim headlights. Granted I could have missed it in the lists of fuses but have looked several times and don't see it. Everything else seems to be working fine. Nothing in front of the camera on windshield and certainly not to cold for it to work and switch turned to auto on dash. I'll take it in for repair but thought I'd check fuse first, if I could find it. Anyone know which one it is? I also did a search but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks in advance for any help
Can you manually operate the hi and lo beams? Fuse #39 in the interior fuse panel is for the High beam headlight shutters. There doesn't seem to be a fuse dedicated to the auto dimming lights, at least it isn't identified that way if there is.

Peter

The high low beams work fine manually. Shutters are working fine. I can't find one other thing that doesn't work. It's really weird.

I believe the auto-dim lights work off of the camera behind the rearview mirror. There could be something wrong with the camera, or it may not be calibrated properly (That would also affect lane-keeping feature)

Ok here's the interesting story. My husband was driving, when they didn't work I checked to make sure they were in the correct setting and they were. The EX is my car and it seems every time he drives something doesn't work. Every other time he has been alone and tells me what didn't work and I go out and it works fine so I just chalk it up to him not knowing how to do something. However this time I was with him and know that it was in the correct position. I used the car last week at night and guess what....... they worked perfectly. I've used them several times since and they work fine. My husband is convinced that the car hates him or I've programmed the fob to do weird things. I told him it would be difficult to take it in for repair and say it only happens when he drives.

So as far as I'm concerned they work great. As far as he's concerned they don't.

Ok here's the interesting story. My husband was driving, when they didn't work I checked to make sure they were in the correct setting and they were. The EX is my car and it seems every time he drives something doesn't work. Every other time he has been alone and tells me what didn't work and I go out and it works fine so I just chalk it up to him not knowing how to do something. However this time I was with him and know that it was in the correct position. I used the car last week at night and guess what....... they worked perfectly. I've used them several times since and they work fine. My husband is convinced that the car hates him or I've programmed the fob to do weird things. I told him it would be difficult to take it in for repair and say it only happens when he drives.

So as far as I'm concerned they work great. As far as he's concerned they don't.
Easy fix to this issue. Take away his keys! :D

Peter

You need to have auto headlights on.

You need to have auto headlights on.
Welcome to the Forum timoconn.:wavey:
According to her post, she indicated that the setting is correct. Otherwise why would it work for her? But perhaps hubby is messing with the setting.:dunno:
Do you have 5th generation Explorer? If so, it would be very helpful if you added that to your profile so it will show by your name in the left margin. :thumbsup:

Peter

Is he using your fob or his? Is this a setting that is fob specific? I don't have that feature but figured I would throw it out there. Maybe be has to turn it on with his fob and save the setting.

Peter

Good idea! When he's had trouble before I've taken his fob and tried to recreate the problem but never can. It was just so strange since I was with him this time and I know that the knob was in the correct position. Even stopped and checked to make sure nothing was in front of the camera. I find it really funny.

Is he using your fob or his? Is this a setting that is fob specific? I don't have that feature but figured I would throw it out there. Maybe be has to turn it on with his fob and save the setting.

The headlights aren't fob specific. just a knob on the dash. It's work all other times with him driving.

Welcome to the Forum timoconn.:wavey:
According to her post, she indicated that the setting is correct. Otherwise why would it work for her? But perhaps hubby is messing with the setting.:dunno:
Do you have 5th generation Explorer? If so, it would be very helpful if you added that to your profile so it will show by your name in the left margin. :thumbsup:

Peter

I thought 5th generation Explorers were from 2011. I have under my name that mine is a 2013 Limited etc. Is there something else that I should put that I'm not aware of.

Peter

Here Here! That's why I hate when my wife uses mine. Everything needs to be readjusted and whatever she complains about appears to be just fine for me! ;)

Auto High / Low Head Lamps

I've not been able to get the Auto Dim feature to work on 2016 Limited. The dealer tech checked via a laptop and said it worked. But in real world application, it's a no-go. The wind shield camera does work, the Auto Wipper works.
Anyone had success with theirs?

I've not been able to get the Auto Dim feature to work on 2016 Limited. The dealer tech checked via a laptop and said it worked. But in real world application, it's a no-go. The wind shield camera does work, the Auto Wipper works.
Anyone had success with theirs?
I believe this is the first report on this feature. Do the headlights automatically go to high beam with no on coming traffic?

Peter

No, I've upset a number of drivers testing the functionality.
I also understand that if auto is active and you're above 52km the high beams should come. Also, if on high beam in auto, and below 44km the lights should dim.
This too, does not work.

The auto-dim feature on my 2016 Platinum works very well -- too well, actually. The first time I drove at night on a rural country road with auto-dim enabled, the high beams went on whenever there wasn't an oncoming car and went off as soon as an oncoming car appeared.

I found the auto-dim feature to be too active and reactive -- high beams annoyingly toggling on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off -- so I disabled the auto-dim feature and haven't used it since.

In my opinion, the Explorer's LED low beams are so good, and the halogen high beams are so yellow and feeble, I see no need to use the high beams at all.

The auto-dim feature on my 2016 Platinum works very well -- too well, actually. The first time I drove at night on a rural country road with auto-dim enabled, the high beams went on whenever there wasn't an oncoming car and went off as soon as an oncoming car appeared.

I found the auto-dim feature to be too active and reactive -- high beams annoyingly toggling on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off -- so I disabled the auto-dim feature and haven't used it since.

In my opinion, the Explorer's LED low beams are so good, and the halogen high beams are so yellow and feeble, I see no need to use the high beams at all.

100% agree, one of the first things I disabled.

yeah my 2014 limted has them, and they change on/off too often and any big lights along the road messes with them too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My auto dims work great. However if the windshield is cold they will not work until it has warmed up. When it's in the 20's (degrees) and the car has been sitting and everything is cold they will not do auto dim. Everything has to warm up before they will function. I have even had it do this in the low 30 degrees if the car is really cold inside and out. Hope this makes some sense.

Back