• Register Today It's free!

auto fogs on?

justalfe

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas,NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Is there a way to turn to automatically turn the fogs on when the headlights are turned on or in auto at night?

I really like the look of all 4 lights on with the leds fogs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what's different about the '16, but my '14 will turn on the fogs every time the headlights come on assuming I have the fogs switched on.

Is there a way to turn to automatically turn the fogs on when the headlights are turned on or in auto at night?

I really like the look of all 4 lights on with the leds fogs.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I don't think you can. In fact in some jurisdictions it is illegal to drive with both headlights and fogs on unless you are in a condition of 'diminished visibility'. Personally I see no reason to drive with both on at night. While some may like the look, again, I hate it when approaching vehicles with all 4 on at night, especially those that have upgraded the lights. All lights produce a certain amount of glare even when properly aligned, so why would anyone want to double the glare for on coming motorists. That's my opinion and obviously not shared by everyone. As mentioned before, some manufacturers are already eliminating fog lights on some of their vehicles (KIA, Mercedes) largely because of the diminished need for them and misuse.

Peter

Actually, most vehicles are only able to turn on the fog lights in conjunction with the low beam headlights. They turn off automatically when high beams are selected. If the fog light switch locks in an "on" position then they would come on whenever the headlights are turned on.

Your fogs will automatically turn on with your headlights on AUTO as long as the fog light switch is ON. I actually just realized that today when I took her out for a drive with my kids.

Your fogs will automatically turn on with your headlights on AUTO as long as the fog light switch is ON.

This is the correct answer. You will see the green headlight icon and green fog light icon illuminated on your dash.

That being said, if you turn OFF the Auto lights and then back... you will need to select the fogs for them to go on/off in Auto again.

I agree with Peter. The four light setup is very distracting to on coming traffic. There is no reason for the additional lighting during in city driving.

I'm in the use of fog lights only when necessary "Diminished Visibility" camp.
I can't stand seeing other drivers going along with the fogs on, with clear skies & dry roads.
What I especially hate are the drivers of several European makes that drive with the rear fog light on in clear, dry weather. Looks light they have their brakes on, but only 1 light is lit. I can understand why to turn them on when weather conditions warrant, but all the time?
Mark

What I especially hate are the drivers of several European makes that drive with the rear fog light on in clear, dry weather. Looks light they have their brakes on, but only 1 light is lit. I can understand why to turn them on when weather conditions warrant, but all the time?
Mark

Dollars to donuts, I bet they don't even know their rear fog light is even on, let alone knowing they actually have that safety feature.

Back