• Register Today It's free!

auto headlights

Explorer2011

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8
Ok I've owned my 98 explorer for 8 months and always had to turn lights on with knob even at night. Now I have autolamp on my rear view mirror but its always been off. But crunk up my truck this morning and lights came on I couldn't turn them off and when I turned the truck off they go out 5 minutes later along with my rear view mirror green light. But remeber I never had auto lights ever and now its day time my headlight knob works again. What stumps me is havin this truck this whole time what's makin this happen over night I've done nothing different to this truck. And really hate the auto headlights like how I had it before.. what made tthis change over night? Typin this on my phone sorry

The control for the autolamps is the slide on the bottom center of the rear view mirror. All the way left is off. Any movement to the right activates the system. The further to the right, the longer the lights stay on after turning off the engine. Check the position of the slide.

The control for the autolamps is the slide on the bottom center of the rear view mirror. All the way left is off. Any movement to the right activates the system. The further to the right, the longer the lights stay on after turning off the engine. Check the position of the slide.

Yeah I never touched it and its been off.

Disconnect the wire plug on the back passenger side of the mirror. That will completely disable the autolamps.

Back