Auto/hi/low TC confusion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto/hi/low TC confusion

evolver

Reaction score
Looking at a 2000 Explorer with only 49K Km on it. I noticed the TC is 4Auto/hi/low is this different than 2wd/4hi/4low?. On the 2000 is the Hi and Low the same as say in my 88 Bronco?

I don't want to pass up on this one and wondering the strength of the TC for FSR/Overlanding

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After some reading seems some come with 2wd other 4auto and the TC is the same. Hopefully I can get the truck tomorrow. 49K KM (30K Miles) owned by a 80 year old lady. $4000 CDN :)

Only pre-97 have 2wd mode. There is a system on the front axle to disconnect it.

Nice find...assuming it's in as nice of condition as you'd expect for a 49km truck.

You can gain 2wd high with the "brown wire mod". (And also 2wd low) A quick search will give you all the info you could want. A quick fluid change, a trans cooler, and you should be good to go.

Nice find...assuming it's in as nice of condition as you'd expect for a 49km truck.

This is the unit https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/d/2000-ford-explorer/6293428052.html

Only thing I got reservations about is the strength of the TC for 4x4ing. Not hardcore stuff but I'd like to do a 2" TT and 2-3" body lift and get at least 33" tires, eventually get a proper ranger lift or sas. I do have a 88 Bronco that is 80% ready so this 4K could pimp it out but with a fresh 302 and a C6 and stock gears that thing is a gas pig and gas at $1.27/1L here its hard to justify using the Bronco for long trips when I only get about 400KM per tank.

My other choice is getting a 1st gen Xterra but they all have serious KM here but it would be much better 4x4 overall but with 49K KM that Explorer is looking pretty good.

You can always swap on a 1354 and get rid of the clutch if you kill the stocker.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but look at the Craigslist pic of the dash (odometer). The "4" looks funny like it's turning to a 5 already. I wonder what's up with that, if it's been fiddled with. Assuming it has the 4L SOHC engine, at the very least I would insist on hearing it run cold to listen for timing chain rattle, not having had been "warmed up" for you.

00606_e10HGBCEhl_1200x900.jpg

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but look at the Craigslist pic of the dash (odometer). The "4" looks funny like it's turning to a 5 already. I wonder what's up with that, if it's been fiddled with. Assuming it has the 4L SOHC engine, at the very least I would insist on hearing it run cold to listen for timing chain rattle, not having had been "warmed up" for you.

00606_e10HGBCEhl_1200x900.jpg

I haven't have a chance to drive and and check it out. Saw an Xterra today which was pretty nasty but was cheap but once I saw it **** it I'm really looking for something that requires no mechanical work for now. I'd like to get a 5.0 Explorer and do a TC swap but there are none locally that don't have 300K Km on them.

I'm looking for a winter/future overlanding truck and so I don't drive my 2016 Fiesta St in the salt in witner, and that's what I was building my 88 Bronco for but the gas mileage suck ass. I had the 302 rebuilt and swapped in a C6 instead of AOD but without the OD I lost about 100KM per tank as at 120KM/h I'm at about 3000 RPM when the OD kicked in on the AOD it went to 1800 RPM.

So now I debating maybe just keep working on the Bronco and save up for a pro rebuilt AOD but even then it'll be $$$$ in gas to go anywhere.

The Bronco

2016-12-01-%20bronco_C011084.jpg

Nice Bronco, those are rare to see in good condition.

The V6 transfer case is medium duty, the 302 Explorer has the stronger trans, and it can take the same TC's as your Bronco etc, they have the same six bolt pattern and shaft matching parts. The SOHC 4.0 is big trouble eventually, all of them, so if it is still in good shape, they can go 100-150k miles if best fluid is used, and never extended drain intervals etc. But that's not likely, most have had poor oil or too long between a few times. Hopefully that's a great buy, 32k miles is excellent.

But I'd hunt the nicest(interior and features working) condition 302 Explorer, and work with that. Those are much more reliable, at any mileage over all. Any vehicle abused will be a bad buy, so hunt one that seems well cared for.

Also, the AOD can be replaced by the electronic 4R70W, if you spend the money for a Baumann controller. The trans is very strong in 1998+ versions, and people love that controller I read a lot. Regards,

Back