Auto Hold System Fault | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Hold System Fault

I tried to duplicate the method of causing the fault message. I left the Auto Hold on when I shut off the vehicle, then tried to restart it with both the FordPass app, and then the keyfob. I did not get an error message no matter how it was re-started.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Searched the forum , couldn’t find a similar thread , but I know what the Auto Hold feature is and how to use it but does anybody get an error message when they first start their truck, I wish it would store a code this way it’s not back and forth at the dealer

View attachment 177521
I had this and many more problems and according to the Dealer they are electrical problems and the Update of the Explorer Modules

So after living with the auto hold system fault for merely a year fingers crossed it is fixed. I took my car in for an oil change and asked them to look up TSBs for the auto hold system. They found one that Ford released about a month ago and said it should resolve the issue. They reprogrammed the ABS module. The TSB is 21-2276.

Not much info on that TSB yet. From what I've found the NHTSA has not posted the TSB as of this date.
1635534401801.png

Peter

Not much info on that TSB yet. From what I've found the NHTSA has not posted the TSB as of this date.
View attachment 422871

Peter
That is all I could find when I looked it up online too. On my service order and the service advisor stated they reprogrammed the ABS module per the TSB from Ford. Time will tell as I just got the car back last night. 🤞

That is all I could find when I looked it up online too. On my service order and the service advisor stated they reprogrammed the ABS module per the TSB from Ford. Time will tell as I just got the car back last night. 🤞
Did the update work? Any more Auto Hold Fault?

Did the update work? Any more Auto Hold Fault?
I believe it worked. It is cooler here and I've remote started my car several times with no sign of the fault.

I have a appointment on the 21st to get this exact issue looked at. i told them it only happens after like 5 minutes and on remote start and ford pass app only. push buttin cold starts never have an issue with the autohold.

I have a appointment on the 21st to get this exact issue looked at. i told them it only happens after like 5 minutes and on remote start and ford pass app only. push buttin cold starts never have an issue with the autohold.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
No issues with mine since it is one of a few features I've turned OFF. ;) Please do keep us updated on the problem. Thank you.

Peter

I just got mine serviced for that plus I have the blue screen problem with the back up camera. They did the recall and no fix. I gave them the TSB notice and they ordered a bunch of parts plus they reprogrammed the ABS module. Waiting to see what happens. Still waiting for the parts, but they did reprogram already

Had mine in the dealership this week and asked them to perform this update for the Auto Hold fault. They reprogrammed the ABS module as per TSB 21-2276. I did not have this issue very often, but it is nice to have the latest software update.

No issues with mine since it is one of a few features I've turned OFF. ;) Please do keep us updated on the problem. Thank you.

Peter
sorry for the delay, got busy with working retail around the holidays lol. anywho the dealer was able to replicate the issue and fix said issue. I still have to let him know that my key not in vehicle issue came back although he said this would fix that too, so far the auto-hold works perfectly now every time.
20220101_120821.jpg
20220101_121047.jpg

I use my auto start with the remote key fob every day and use the Auto Hold at all times and never had a problem at 16,000 miles now.
I got this "Auto Hold System Fault" error message today for the first time. I did use the remote start from the key fob. I've been using Auto Hold at all times. Is it not recommended to use the Auto Hold at all times? This is my first vehicle with it and so many other bells and whistles.

I've used remote start multiple times during this winter but haven't seen this message. The last error message I got was with "Check Headlamp System-See Manual" after using the remote start and shutting the car off with the fob. That has since cleared and haven't seen it again.
I have a 2021 Explorer Platinum with a little over 16K miles on it.

I got this "Auto Hold System Fault" error message today for the first time. I did use the remote start from the key fob. I've been using Auto Hold at all times. Is it not recommended to use the Auto Hold at all times? This is my first vehicle with it and so many other bells and whistles.

I've used remote start multiple times during this winter but haven't seen this message. The last error message I got was with "Check Headlamp System-See Manual" after using the remote start and shutting the car off with the fob. That has since cleared and haven't seen it again.
You can use auto hold any time you like. You aren't doing anything wrong. It's a software issue, and pops up most commonly after a remote start. Next time you are at your dealer, you need to tell them about the fault message, and direct them to TSB 21-2276. They can update software to resolve this.

The first thing I turn OFF is the Easy Entry/Exit feature and the second thing I turned OFF was the Auto Hold. I just found it too intrusive and totally unnecessary. As mentioned above, you can use it or not use it.

Peter

The first thing I turn OFF is the Easy Entry/Exit feature and the second thing I turned OFF was the Auto Hold. I just found it too intrusive and totally unnecessary. As mentioned above, you can use it or not use it.

Peter
I'm surprised you turn off the Easy Entry/Exit feature. I love it, makes it easy for this old guy getting in and out. 🤣

You can use auto hold any time you like. You aren't doing anything wrong. It's a software issue, and pops up most commonly after a remote start. Next time you are at your dealer, you need to tell them about the fault message, and direct them to TSB 21-2276. They can update software to resolve this.
Thank you for this! I will definitely bring it to their attention.
I'm glad it's nothing I was doing wrong.

Peter
That's funny because for me these are the two features, along with Remote Start, that I will always require on any car moving forward. I'm a bigger guy and the easy entry/exit makes it easy to get in and out and the auto hold is ideal when stopped at a long light. Now the auto stop/start is the first thing I got rid of. I hate that "feature".

Your truck needs to go back to dealer for system updates. This problem will go away after the computer is updated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WIll I need to remove my tune for the dealership to do this tsb?

Back