• Register Today It's free!

Auto hubs....again, sorry

russ-shoe

Reaction score
City, State
merrillan wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EB
OK...got the same old auto hubs issues on my wifes 94 Explorer... gonna change over to manual hubs as soon as i can. Question: Can i remove the auto hub innards...or the inside of the hub..and just freewheel it for a while...few weeks or months till i get time and money to get the manual hubs. (time more than money...remodeling the house....god help me!)

thanks
russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont think you can. the iner part holds the bearings in and the outer part keeps dirt out. just leave them on till you get the new ones. if ther unlocked the wont hurt anything. good luck.

lifeguard379 said:
i dont think you can. the iner part holds the bearings in and the outer part keeps dirt out.

theres a big nut that holds the bearings in, the auto hubs have a part that buts up against the big nut.

I think you could take that inner piece out and be fine.

You'd probably be fine taking the plastic/aluminum cam thing off of the spindle, but I don't think that will solve the problem if the hubs are jammed in the locked position. (I assume they are or you wouldn't care to remove them.)

Take the hub off and look down inside it. At the "bottom" you'll see a little C-clip. Use a couple of screwdrivers to remove the clip and pull the splined center thing out of the hub. You'll still see a spring and a gear in there, but they should be able to stay with no problem assuming they don't seem loose. Put the gutted hub back on the truck and you should be fine for 2WD.

I see no reason why you can't gut the Auto Hub. The Spindle nut holds the Spindle on. I have a Pic of all the parts out of the Hub if you want it for clarity, send me your e-mail address.

Hoffm_t@tdipower.com

update

hey thanks guys for the response...and yes im having the same old hub hang up issue as others. Did the clean out the hub thing the other night, seems to be working, (wife isnt complaining so far) lol... will think about gutting them or just putting some manuals on... thanks

Auto Hub Question

I am in the process of putting in new Rotors, wheel bearings, brake pads etc. I read somewhere that the auto hubs should not be covered in axl grease, that in fact they should be clean and oiled with high quality motor type oil ?? is this correct ??? I have one side torn down now and everything clean and dont want to stuff it back full of axl grease if I dont have to. Now I did pack the new bearings full of synthetic grease before I pressed the new rear seal on and put the big retaining nut on.

Thanks
Dwight P

PS and I would like a breakdown pic if anyone has one...i hate to think I put something back wrong....its heck working outside with no shop.

http://4x4cyberstore.com/website/warn_hub_ford.html

About the cheapest you will find anywhere.

Auto hubs.. Yes, they should not be gooped with heavy grease. Trani fluid is good.

The Wheel bearings. you did fine. they get Packed with Wheel bearing grease.

Back