• Register Today It's free!

auto hubs can i rebuild them?

ronsaun

Reaction score
City, State
butte mt
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
i have a auto hub on the passenger side and it is shot! is there a rebuild kit?
i broke the plastic part that has the springs wrapped around it. there is also a thin metal washer that is in about 10 pieces. i would like to replace these without doing a bunch of other stuff. what are the parts called and where can i get them? can you send me a link? if i stick my finger in and turn the part that accepts the spindle, it is smooth and clicks nicely!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that these are non-servicable components unless you got some other not-so-broken units laying around you could take parts from.

Go get you some warn manuals, you will be much happier.

Have you read the sticky about 4x4 and hubs? it's on the page when you come to the stock 91 -94's. Lots of good info and links there.
Doesn't seem to be anyway to rebuild yourself, unless, like 92exp4x4 say's, you supply the parts. Where's that spring you're talking about? In the hub itself? I've heard that mentioned but have yet to see them on mine.

I see a snap ring down in there. Seems like it would take a long snap ring pliers to reach it.

I need some help too. Did the 4x4 motor plastic stop fix. Front drive shaft turn but wheels don't.
Tried cleaning the grease from the inside of the hubs. No luck. Might not have them clean enough. Ran out of brake clean.

Thought maybe a little time would allow them to loosen up. Tried again tonight. Now after backing up I have a still have whirring sound when moving forward. What's the quick fix to eliminate that? Remove the cam's? Sounds reasonable but thought I'd ask first.

I have the same problems. Just wondering if you've fixed yours?

Which problem do you have? A broken cam specifically or no 4x4 because they won't lock in?
The fix is either find a used auto hub in the bone yard or go to manuals.
I believe new cams can be bought but if you're staying with auto's grab the cams when you get the hubs

There was a Guy on here, years ago that replaced the Plastic parts with more robust parts but I have not seen him mentioning that he does this work in years.

I know you always hear this but... Manual Hubs
Stronger, once engaged they stay engaged even when backing up and they are stronger and care free.

Very easy to swap in.

Cam what

So I just broke the exact part today, what is that part called? I read it refered to as a cam what is its name. ______cam? or cam______?

Back