• Register Today It's free!

auto hubs conversion

sajnaj

Reaction score
City, State
rockville in
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
can i convert my auto hubs to a manual from parts from a junkyard with a manual hubs :burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, you just need the manual hubs and the spindle nuts off of the donor truck.

any certain year ranges and specs

All 1st Gen (91-94) Explorers.

You can try to get them off a 95+, but it won't work well.

ok becasue i went muding and only one side got real dirty so i thought tha tone of my hubs is not locking in

so you are going to replace and convert just one?

and in mudding... with my 4x2 toyota, i got the whole truck covered in mud, it doesnt even have front wheel drive....

no on the driver side i had mud thrown up on my door and on my pasenger side nothing and i herd lots of clicking and i just went out and played a little bit not full out

sajnaj said:
ok becasue i went muding and only one side got real dirty so i thought tha tone of my hubs is not locking in
That may not be the case. The front uses an "open" differential, so when you were really in the mud, only one side might have been spinning.

ok i will put it on jacks and c what hapens

jacks wont do anything..... that isnt the problem the problem is an open front differential, both hubs could have very well have been working but only one side getting power

thne what was the clicking

Clicking is NOT!!! Good.....that is the hub not engageing all the way.........

sajnaj said:
thne what was the clicking
Could be the auto hubs are starting to go... you won't have ANY front wheel drive if 1 hub goes because as stated above, front differential is not a limited slip (posi). We really only ever have three wheel drive, that's only if you have limited slip dif in the rear. No manufacturer (except 60's Ford Bronco option) offers front limited slip diff, I beleive.

Clicking could be the transfer case, but in my experience, probably a hub. I'd change 'em anyway, if your'e planning on keeping the truck. You'll need 'em sooner or later.

and my transfer cae i have to paly withj it to it engage
i have to play play wiht it for a while could that be my shift motor

Back