• Register Today It's free!

Auto Hubs & Front Axle

flyboyerau

Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Well, now that winter is here again, my 4X4 is out again. Murphy's law is also at work again:( The 4 wheel drive doesn't work. When I push the switch on the dash, the trnsfer case engages fine. I put the Ex on jackstands to make sure power is going to the front axle. Here is the first problem. The driver's side axle turns fine, but the passenger side will not turn at all. I am wondering if this is a u-joint problem or something more severe. Also, both hubs will not engage. I have pulled them both apart only to find them loaded up with grease. I cleaned the grease off and tried it again, still not engaging. I will try the solvent followed by the ATF in the cast aluminum part, and will clean the other components with solvent as well. One thing that was missing from the assembly was the 2 thrust spacers behind the cam assembly on both sides. I would like to know if ANYONE has a component/rebuild kit other than Ford. I would also like to know if anyone has any ideas about the front axle. Thank you all for your help:)

I could be wrong, but I would say this is due to a lack of a front locker.

It sounds like it is working ok. If both hubs are locked with an open differential all power will go to the wheel with least resistance (driver' side). The passenger side front axle is longer and contains an additional U-joint making it have greated resistance than the driver's side.

That being said if the driver's side HUB was locked and the passenger side unlocked then the passenger side would then have the least restistance. The driver's side now as the additional resistance of the entire wheel. The passenger axle would spin, but NOT rotate the tire.

So to confirm you could prevent the dirver's side wheel from moving and power will be transfered to the other side.

Ok, thats a big help and i was doubting the broken u-joint anyway. The new problem is that I can lock the passenger side hub by hand by turning the u-joint manually so I know the passenger side works. The drivers side still does not work though. I need to pull it apart and get all of the grease out of it, and then try it again. I noticed that when I re-assembled the pasenger side hub, it was springy when I pushed the aluminum hub onto the rest of the assembly. That was not the case on the driver's side. The hub wasn't springy at all. Could that be a sign that the spring is packed full of grease. Anyone know whats going on now?? Thanks!

Back