Auto Lock Crisis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Lock Crisis

karen 2013

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
So today something happened with the auto lock that I cannot replicate. Hoping someone can help. Car was off, in driveway. Unlocked from earlier (had been sitting). I opened the back passenger door easily, put baby in car seat, reached over headrest to drop keys/fob and small wallet in front passenger seat. Finished buckling infant in car seat, closed back passenger side door . . . and then I hear "click" the doors locked. I could not open any of the doors.

Fortunately, I called someone and got the code and could get in. however, when I tried to replicate what happened, could not. If I push the "lock" button on the fob (presuming I had accidentally done so or the wallet had when I dropped it in the seat) the vehicle locks immediately, while the passenger back door was still open, not like in the incident above, just after it closed. Then I tried to "accidentally" lock it once the passenger back door was closed and the fob in the front pass seat, and was not able to lock it at all by touching the handle or the button on the handle. It remained unlocked..

Because of the infant, it is important I figure out if I did something wrong, or if this is something wrong technically. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got me stumped.. as you said, if you accidentally lock it with the door open, it will lock and once you close the open door, the lights will flash once.

Only thing I can say which is not much help is to remember the code. You can always get in that way unless you have a dead battery.

That is one reason why I committed the door lock code to memory when I got my EX home the very first day! What version do you have? Base, XLT , Limited?

yep....simply remember your code and it's a non issue

So today something happened with the auto lock that I cannot replicate. Hoping someone can help. Car was off, in driveway. Unlocked from earlier (had been sitting). I opened the back passenger door easily, put baby in car seat, reached over headrest to drop keys/fob and small wallet in front passenger seat. Finished buckling infant in car seat, closed back passenger side door . . . and then I hear "click" the doors locked. I could not open any of the doors.

Fortunately, I called someone and got the code and could get in. however, when I tried to replicate what happened, could not. If I push the "lock" button on the fob (presuming I had accidentally done so or the wallet had when I dropped it in the seat) the vehicle locks immediately, while the passenger back door was still open, not like in the incident above, just after it closed. Then I tried to "accidentally" lock it once the passenger back door was closed and the fob in the front pass seat, and was not able to lock it at all by touching the handle or the button on the handle. It remained unlocked..

Because of the infant, it is important I figure out if I did something wrong, or if this is something wrong technically. Thanks in advance.
I just tried it and was able to lock my fob in without any problem or alarms. I opened the back door, pressed the LOCK button on the fob, placed it on the center console, shut the door and everything is locked up. Followed the same routine with the front door and again, all doors are locked. No flashing lights, no alarm. I then tried locking the fob inside by touching the black button on the driver's door handle and nothing. Doors would not lock. That part worked as it should as did the 2 honks I got when I tried to lock the fob inside by hitting the lock/unlock button on the driver's door. Doors unlocked automatically.
Karen, it would be helpful if you update your profile with the model you have so it will show in the left margin.

Now, having said all that, Welcome to the Forum karen 2013. :wavey:

Peter

Peter, not sure if you misunderstood the OP or if I'm misunderstanding your post because from what I just read from you, it isn't talking about the issue the OP is having. Karen is saying is that she didn't lock the doors, she threw the keys on the passenger seat and when she closed the rear door, the doors then locked on their own. When you have the door open and you press the lock button, the doors lock at that point even with one of the doors being opened. She has no idea why the EX locked itself AFTER she closed the door (not while it was open) with the keys sitting idle on the passenger seat.

Peter, not sure if you misunderstood the OP or if I'm misunderstanding your post because from what I just read from you, it isn't talking about the issue the OP is having. Karen is saying is that she didn't lock the doors, she threw the keys on the passenger seat and when she closed the rear door, the doors then locked on their own. When you have the door open and you press the lock button, the doors lock at that point even with one of the doors being opened. She has no idea why the EX locked itself AFTER she closed the door (not while it was open) with the keys sitting idle on the passenger seat.
I was verifying the theory that perhaps the lock button was inadvertently pressed somehow when it and the wallet were tossed onto the passenger seat. The doors would lock and there would not be any alarm. I can see no other way that the doors would have locked on their own. Must admit though that I did misread that she heard the 'click' after closing the rear door.
Maybe the baby has a spare set of keys? ;)
Just another example of why one should memorize/record the door code.
There haven't been any previous posts about this so let's hope it was just a one time issue.
Good thing you are checking up on me blwnsmoke.:thumbsup:

Peter

Get a Border Collie and put it in the car first. They are quite smart and can be easily taut to unlock a vehicle. In fact don't tie a small cord through the inside door release and let it dangle down. It doesn't take long to show him how to open it and be gone. Don't bother asking how I know. His name is "Cap".......best regards Plum

Get a Border Collie and put it in the car first. They are quite smart and can be easily taut to unlock a vehicle. In fact don't tie a small cord through the inside door release and let it dangle down. It doesn't take long to show him how to open it and be gone. Don't bother asking how I know. His name is "Cap".......best regards Plum

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Mine would just give me the finger and drive away...

Back