Auto Lock Setting I don't know about?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Lock Setting I don't know about??

ndecks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello,
Yesterday, I dropped my husband off at the airport, saw him off to security went back to the car with my 2 year old, put him in his car seat, threw my purse which had my keys next to him in the back seat and closed the rear passenger door. As I closed it I heard the locking sound. The dang car locked me out with my baby inside.
Of course I was throroughly panicked with, baby in the car, my phone in the purse etc.
Thankfully a good samaritain let me borrow their phone and my husband thankfully had his keys on him so he came out and opened the door for us.
Can someone help me understand what happened?
And of course I will be programming the keyless entry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The vehicle should not have locked by itself. More than likely something in your purse pushed the lock button when you threw it down.

Hello,
Yesterday, I dropped my husband off at the airport, saw him off to security went back to the car with my 2 year old, put him in his car seat, threw my purse which had my keys next to him in the back seat and closed the rear passenger door. As I closed it I heard the locking sound. The dang car locked me out with my baby inside.
Of course I was throroughly panicked with, baby in the car, my phone in the purse etc.
Thankfully a good samaritain let me borrow their phone and my husband thankfully had his keys on him so he came out and opened the door for us.

Dont you have the unlock code to use the panel on the outside? I see you have a limited so you do have that option also.

Im sure at that moment you were not thinking of this but,
your door keypad will lock/unlock the doors as long as you have the 5 digit code
you were given with your keys.
  1. Swipe door key pad with your finger to activate it and it lights up;
  2. punch in your code and dont do it softly, do it rather deliberately;
  3. doors either unlock or lock based on what they are at that time.

They key pad may be hard to see in the daylight but when you hit each number it will light up a tad and you can generally see your swipes/ presses working.
Test in the driveway one day and once you know the code you will be all set.

Hello,
Are we talking actual keys or the IA keyfob? With the IA keyfob (keyless entry), the doors should have automatically unlocked seeing as how the key was inside. The only way to lock that inside is to use the Securicode keypad on the driver's door or by manually pushing down all 4 door lock pins.

Peter

We just got the car used and were not given the code for the keypad on the door. I will be stopping by the dealership today to set that up
And Peter we are talking keyfob and yes, it locked with keys inside and no I did not use securicode on the keypad as we dont even have that set up.

We just got the car used and were not given the code for the keypad on the door. I will be stopping by the dealership today to set that up
And Peter we are talking keyfob and yes, it locked with keys inside and no I did not use securicode on the keypad as we dont even have that set up.
There is no way then that doors should have locked. Also, the securicode is already set up at the factory and you would have been given it.
I never bothered to change mine on the Explorer or my current vehicle. Some members have run into problems when trying t o change it. Not saying everyone did.
The number should have been on a card that was with all the booklets that you received. If not, I'll attach a picture of where you can find it. It is under the dash on the driver's side near the fuse box. The number is on the white tag with the bar code on it. I had overwritten mine with 0's just for the picture.
Good luck.

Peter

Attachments

• PC170277a.jpg
    PC170277a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,212

yup its good to have that code handy. You can also program your own code to something easier to remember.

Here is what i did, kinda fool proof for me.

1. Ensure the autolock is turned off.

2. Have a discreet pic of the code on my phone. Commit the code to memory and have a personal code programmed also. Never know when one wont work.

3. Always keep my phone and keys seperate and never leave them together.

These are optional and costs extra.

4. Installed the phone app and security system. Installed app on my iphone and a family member's HTC One so i can call them to unlock in event 1. 2. 3. above fails.

yup its good to have that code handy. You can also program your own code to something easier to remember.

Here is what i did, kinda fool proof for me.

1. Ensure the autolock is turned off.

2. Have a discreet pic of the code on my phone. Commit the code to memory and have a personal code programmed also. Never know when one wont work.

3. Always keep my phone and keys seperate and never leave them together.

These are optional and costs extra.

4. Installed the phone app and security system. Installed app on my iphone and a family member's HTC One so i can call them to unlock in event 1. 2. 3. above fails.

Auto lock, is that what unlocks my doors when I touch the handle? And locks them when I touch the black button on the handle? Not sure why I'd want that off.

Auto lock, is that what unlocks my doors when I touch the handle? And locks them when I touch the black button on the handle? Not sure why I'd want that off.
I'm guessing that it is turned OFF just for the procedure in setting up your own securicode and turned on again after that is complete. Just a guess since I've never changed my codes.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I will stop by the dealer on my way phone
And [MENTION=227096]roamingphantom[/MENTION], thanks for the suggestion. What is the app called on the iphone?

Back