Auto Locking Hubs: What makes them break? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Locking Hubs: What makes them break?

Dubious_Downfall

Reaction score
City, State
Fife, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Mazda Navajo LX
Preparing to pick up a second first gen Explorer (It's a 92 Navajo), and decided to look into the manual hub swap. Not because I plan on doing it, but because I want to figure out WHY the auto hubs suck eggs.

My hypothesis is that the plastic used in the auto hubs is either too weak, or weakens over time. If that is indeed the culprit, I have an idea to run by the Explorer forum gods.

Could the auto hub's plastic parts be remanufactured with metal instead? Would that actually fix the notoriously failure prone hubs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plastic parts are what broke in my auto hubs. Its both too weak and weakens over time. Bad design. Manufacturing steel parts might work, but would not be cost effective. Its cheaper to get manual hubs.

The plastic cams just give out over time. Also they are generally not maintained very well and the grease gets washed away.

Also its annoying as hell that you have to back up to get them to unlock and sometimes they don't even do that...

Alright. That leads to my next question. Do Warn or any other company sell upgraded auto locking hubs? Plenty of info around for the manual hub conversion, but it seems that an upgraded auto hub is nearly unheard of.

Warn did make a stronger hub, it was sold for a Jeep D35, but I don’t think it’s made anymore.

Warn Jeep hub conversion for the Ford Ranger

I actually saw this, but it isn't very clear on whether or not it's an auto hub. If the Warn 37780 is indeed an automatic hub, I might start tracking a set down.

That being said, I know the first response will be that I should just get the manual hubs. And I'm inclined to agree, actually. I studied up a bit on how the manual hubs work and realized I could lock them, the forward driveshaft would spin, but the transfer case would basically let it spin freely until the 4x4 button on the dash is pushed. That kills one of my reservations with manual hubs altogether. I want to be able to disengage 4-wheel drive without getting out of the truck. Now I know I can disengage from the inside and just unlock the hubs after I'm done driving. Correct me if I'm wrong. Lol

I'd be interested to know any more pros and cons about the auto vs manual hubs.

Pretty sure that is how the manual hubs work. You can lock the hubs and turn off 4x4 and the shafts will freewheel then turn on 4x4 and then front wheels are powered

With unlocked manual hubs or automatic hubs the axle and drive shafts should be disengaged, meaning they don't turn when in 2wd.

With the automatic hubs, when 4x4 is engaged, the front drive shaft turns the front axle shafts, which causes the plastic parts to engage the hub. That's why when they got older and stuck, you have to back up to get them to disengage. Its unlike most automatic hub designs in that its not always engaged. For example; Jeep Dana 30 front axle hubs are always engaged so everything turns (hubs, axle and drive shafts) which causes more wear and more fuel consumption, but is more reliable.

With manual locking hubs, If you put it in 4x4 with the hubs unlocked, the front shafts will turn, but will not engage the hubs so the front tires will not have power.

The link I posted for Jeep hubs is for manual hubs, sorry for the confusion. I did not read carefully enough to see you were asking about stronger AUTO hubs.

Thanks for the info. It's probably going to come in handy soon.

So are the Warn 37780 hubs basically the best direct fit manual hub conversion?

You can usually find manual hubs at your local Pick n Pull for about $25 ea. I have a spare in the rig and 3 on the shelf

That's why when they got older and stuck, you have to back up to get them to disengage.

^ This is how the auto hubs were DESIGNED to release. The problem is when they get bad they won't disengage with the factory procedure.

Back