Auto Parking Brake Fiasco | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Parking Brake Fiasco

Post number 33 has been selected as best answered.

We finally dropped ours off for the recall. Made an appt. on a Tuesday. It wasn't ready until Friday and all they did was this ridiculous auto parking brake update. They told us we would have to bring it back in when parts were available. We got no loaner, no nothing. I was pissed to say the least because it took them basically 3 days (with an appt.) to do a computer update, then telling us we will have to bring it back again....Ugggggg. I'm so mad at myself that I actually took it in for the recall. I will ask more questions next time I do it for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We finally dropped ours off for the recall. Made an appt. on a Tuesday. It wasn't ready until Friday and all they did was this ridiculous auto parking brake update. They told us we would have to bring it back in when parts were available. We got no loaner, no nothing. I was pissed to say the least because it took them basically 3 days (with an appt.) to do a computer update, then telling us we will have to bring it back again....Ugggggg. I'm so mad at myself that I actually took it in for the recall. I will ask more questions next time I do it for sure.
You need to switch to a competent dealership.

^ Agreed, or demand a loaner next time.

You need to switch to a competent dealership.
Around the Atlanta area, good luck with that. Hoping to move to the country in few years. Fingers crossed.

^ Agreed, or demand a loaner next time.
This is no demanding anything around here, they don't have anything to loan hardly anyone. Definitely a huge problem living near a big city that is over populated big time!!!

This is no demanding anything around here, they don't have anything to loan hardly anyone. Definitely a huge problem living near a big city that is over populated big time!!!
Have you checked with a Lincoln dealer? They will service a Ford also. And their customer service seems better from my own experience and others also. Might be worth a try.

Have you checked with a Lincoln dealer? They will service a Ford also. And their customer service seems better from my own experience and others also. Might be worth a try.
I'll have to look into that. But being near an overcrowded big city, I'm not getting my hopes up but it is well worth looking into. Thank you!

I guess that's a benefit of being in Houston & having a very large dealer nearby.
I'm never pushy/demanding about it, but have almost always managed to get a loaner when in for warranty work.

I'll have to look into that. But being near an overcrowded big city, I'm not getting my hopes up but it is well worth looking into. Thank you!
Keep in mind that Ford is not obliged to provide loaners or rentals. If dealers do, it's at their expense.
Providing loaners with or without pick-up and drop-off service is one of Lincoln's selling points.
The following is from the Explorer Warranty Guide;
"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

Peter

I called Ford Motor CO on Monday to give them an update. My luck I was routed to a Comcast type 3rd world call center. Maybe because of the Holiday ......I tried updating them but they had no recored of previous calls .......I sent video to service manager and have another appointment next Monday.
Anyway after having new OEM rear pads installed Friday as expected it did not make a difference. I will post later this week.

Do you get the same type of noise if you manually engage and release the e-brake in neutral or again neutral, engage the e-brake, and switch to drive and accelerate?

Peter

The noise I'm concerned about is not the normal noise heard as calipers close or open via console button. Or the noise heard by the calipers releasing as the accelerator is pushed.

I'm talking about banging/popping noises as 4 pads bust loose from rotors as vehicle moves after being parked overnight with wet or damp brakes IE washing or driving in rain.

No Noise when engaging or disengaging manually other than the solenoids / actuators or whatever they're called moving the calipers.

In the videos I have released the parking brake manually.... with foot on brake.... before shifting to drive or reverse..... and in the videos there is NO excessive noise until the vehicle starts moving. So it's irrelevant how's it released it should make no difference.

That being said it's quite obvious to me anyway (sorry) that the popping noise is the result of the 4 pads being pride off the rotors as it moves.

If you listen carefully to the videos you should hear the calipers release, in every case they release normally and are NOT the problem.

The pads are stuck/rusted to the rotors and pop off loudly as vehicle moves.

I could just jump in start and shift to drive and use the auto release function which does work fine.........unless this is the first trip of day after being parked over night with wet/damp brakes after washing or driving in the rain.

Again the popping noise is only after sitting all night when wet. After they break free they are quite and work fine until parked again overnight when wet.

thanks for trying to help!
link to all videos to date below

Monday Jan 20th was after new pads installed

The noise I'm concerned about is not the normal noise heard as calipers close or open via console button. Or the noise heard by the calipers releasing as the accelerator is pushed.

I'm talking about banging/popping noises as 4 pads bust loose from rotors as vehicle moves after being parked overnight with wet or damp brakes IE washing or driving in rain.

No Noise when engaging or disengaging manually other than the solenoids / actuators or whatever they're called moving the calipers.

In the videos I have released the parking brake manually.... with foot on brake.... before shifting to drive or reverse..... and in the videos there is NO excessive noise until the vehicle starts moving. So it's irrelevant how's it released it should make no difference.

That being said it's quite obvious to me anyway (sorry) that the popping noise is the result of the 4 pads being pride off the rotors as it moves.

If you listen carefully to the videos you should hear the calipers release, in every case they release normally and are NOT the problem.

The pads are stuck/rusted to the rotors and pop off loudly as vehicle moves.

I could just jump in start and shift to drive and use the auto release function which does work fine.........unless this is the first trip of day after being parked over night with wet/damp brakes after washing or driving in the rain.

Again the popping noise is only after sitting all night when wet. After they break free they quite and work fine until parked again overnight when wet.

thanks for trying to help!

LET'GO FORD!

Interesting. That sounds like the calipers are retracting, but the pads are stuck to the rotors. That needs closer investigation, to figure out what the pads are doing at each point, engaged over night, until the calipers are commanded to release. Then what do the pads do, they should never be out of contact with the caliper pistons. I wonder if there is a gap created between the caliper pistons, and any pad, at any time. That would explain a sudden movement and create an odd noise.

Ever squeeze two pieces of wet soap together and let sit over night

Place two peaces of wet iron under extreme pressure together over night they rust together

Interesting. That sounds like the calipers are retracting, but the pads are stuck to the rotors. That needs closer investigation, to figure out what the pads are doing at each point, engaged over night, until the calipers are commanded to release. Then what do the pads do, they should never be out of contact with the caliper pistons. I wonder if there is a gap created between the caliper pistons, and any pad, at any time. That would explain a sudden movement and create an odd noise.
Ever squeeze two pieces of wet soap together and let sit over night

Place two peaces of wet iron under extreme pressure together over night they rust together

Ford Installed rear ceramic pads yesterday, I drove home and washed then parked trucked in garage. I'll know tomorrow if this solves the problem.

Ceramic pads did not solve the problem.

Your experiences with this kind of boggles my mind. Mine doesn't do that at all. That's just creepy at best. I feel bad for you going through this. It's not what mine does for sure and I hope there is a resolution to it all because that would piss me off for sure. Be well!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your experiences with this kind of boggles my mind. Mine doesn't do that at all. That's just creepy at best. I feel bad for you going through this. It's not what mine does for sure and I hope there is a resolution to it all because that would piss me off for sure. Be well!!
Thanks for the reply....My wheels are 20" They get rinsed using the hose when I hand wash them ...unlike a car wash which sprays a mist and then driven home which allows them to dry.
I'll be willing to bet if I washed your Explorer and Parked it for 24 to 36 hours Yours would make same banging noise. I'm going to wash my wife's Titanium AWD Fusion and park it with the Parking Brake On and Post the results later next. I'm also going to do same with whatever Loaner the dealer gives me tomorrow which marks my 16th trip to dealer since 9/14/21.

13000 miles
LET'S GO FORD MOTOR

Back