Auto Start/Stop Removal Option for 2022 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start/Stop Removal Option for 2022

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess, very few. Otherwise Ford would not even consider the option to turn it off.

I'd be curious, how many owners who have this start-stop really like it?
I think I'd rather be without it, but then again, I can't recall the last time it actually cut in. Probably a couple of months ago, I think.

Peter

I'd be curious, how many owners who have this start-stop really like it?
I think I'd rather be without it, but then again, I can't recall the last time it actually cut in. Probably a couple of months ago, I think.

Peter
I don't mind it to much but like Peter, it often doesn't cut in.

A bigger question for me is how much gas does it really save. My guess is not much. Plus I've heard these are battery killers.

Plus I've heard these are battery killers.
And starters

Mine has never cut in, I installed an autostop eliminator in the dealership new car prep lane while the finance dept was getting the paperwork ready.

My guess, very few. Otherwise Ford would not even consider the option to turn it off.
Only reason why its an option its because of the chip shortage, otherwise, they wouldve never consider it. They prefer getting their higher EPA ratings.

On my 22 Timberline order, I added the code 52X, which eliminates the auto start/stop. I'm not a fan of auto start stop. My 2019 F150 2.7 has it and I turn it off every time I drive it

On my 22 Timberline order, I added the code 52X, which eliminates the auto start/stop. I'm not a fan of auto start stop. My 2019 F150 2.7 has it and I turn it off every time I drive it
"52X"? Is that in ForScan? If so, where?

"52X"? Is that in ForScan? If so, where?
The auto start/stop removal option is listed under option code 52X and as before, only applies to models equipped with Ford's 2.3L EcoBoost I-4. That means it will be available on 2022 Explorer Base, XLT, Timberline, and Limited trims, but not on Limited Hybrid, King Ranch, Platinum, Platinum Hybrid, and ST models

My understanding is that Auto Start Stop was created to help car manufacturers make their CAFE numbers in the EPA standard fuel economy test cycle. It is dubious whether it has any effect on real world fuel economy. The function most certainly puts additional stress on the vehicles' starting and electrical systems. I have a 2020 ST and used to turn it off every chance I remembered. However for the past 12 or so months it stopped working all on its own. This is due to the battery aging. The battery works fine to start the car and doesn't need to be replaced, but the Start Stop system has decided its state of charge is such that it can't support the function. I have even charged the battery and the Auto Start works for a day or so then stops again. Long way for me to get to If you don't have it, I wouldn't worry about it.

My understanding is that Auto Start Stop was created to help car manufacturers make their CAFE numbers in the EPA standard fuel economy test cycle. It is dubious whether it has any effect on real world fuel economy. The function most certainly puts additional stress on the vehicles' starting and electrical systems. I have a 2020 ST and used to turn it off every chance I remembered. However for the past 12 or so months it stopped working all on its own. This is due to the battery aging. The battery works fine to start the car and doesn't need to be replaced, but the Start Stop system has decided its state of charge is such that it can't support the function. I have even charged the battery and the Auto Start works for a day or so then stops again. Long way for me to get to If you don't have it, I wouldn't worry about it.
The auto start stop will not work once your battery gets below 12.6 V. Anything above 12.6 V and the auto start stop will work.

I don't mind it to much but like Peter, it often doesn't cut in.

A bigger question for me is how much gas does it really save. My guess is not much. Plus I've heard these are battery killers.
I haven't done real world tests on my Explorer, but I would guess it helps more now that our systems are essentially sealed due to fuel injection than when carburetors were the norm. I think it also depends on how long you are going to be stopped. If you just pull up to a stop sign and have to wait for three other cars to go it probably makes mileage worse than if you pull up to a light that is just turning red.

The auto start stop will not work once your battery gets below 12.6 V. Anything above 12.6 V and the auto start stop will work.
If no other reason this at least lets you know your battery is going to need to be replaced soon. It sure beats going to work or date night and having it die.

If no other reason this at least lets you know your battery is going to need to be replaced soon. It sure beats going to work or date night and having it die.
I don't mind the feature at all when it works. As far as using it as a battery replacement indicator, I don't think that will work. There are many conditions that have to be met before the feature will activate. It could perhaps be used as a low battery charge indicator which just means that the battery requires a charge. I have likely put the charger on 5 or 6 times over the course of the 32 months I've had the vehicle and the battery is still going strong. With the Aviator, I can tell when the battery requires charging even before getting the warning displayed. The symphonic chimes change to the regular chimes of the Explorer, the vehicle cannot be locked using the lock symbol on the securicode keypad and the Lincoln approach lighting doesn't come ON.

Peter

I don't mind the feature at all when it works. As far as using it as a battery replacement indicator, I don't think that will work. There are many conditions that have to be met before the feature will activate. It could perhaps be used as a low battery charge indicator which just means that the battery requires a charge. I have likely put the charger on 5 or 6 times over the course of the 32 months I've had the vehicle and the battery is still going strong. With the Aviator, I can tell when the battery requires charging even before getting the warning displayed. The symphonic chimes change to the regular chimes of the Explorer, the vehicle cannot be locked using the lock symbol on the securicode keypad and the Lincoln approach lighting doesn't come ON.

Peter
A properly working vehicle should not need to be placed on a charger periodically, unless it sits for an extended period or you only drive it short distances. You might have another issue that needs to be looked at.

The last F-150 I bought had been sitting on the lot for 10 months. When I went to look at it, the battery was dead. The dealership didn't know how long it had been dead. They charged it and everything worked again. I bought it knowing there would be issues due to sitting around a while, but knew Ford's warranty was pretty good. I drove the truck for the weekend and put several hundred miles on it, but the truck quit auto-stopping. I took it back to the dealership and they charged it up again. That worked for about 6 months then it wouldn't auto-stop again, even after driving on the freeway for an hour. I took it back to a different dealership, due to working away from my home. The second dealership said the battery being discharged had "damaged" the battery and was not allowing it to maintain enough of a full charge to allow the auto-stop feature to work. The battery was still working properly it just couldn't hold enough of a charge to allow for the auto-stop to function. They replaced the battery and all the auto-stop problems went away.

A properly working vehicle should not need to be placed on a charger periodically, unless it sits for an extended period or you only drive it short distances. You might have another issue that needs to be looked at.

That describes my vehicles. They are used for short round trips to the stores, 10 - 20 minutes. It's not uncommon for them to sit in the garage for 3 to 4 days or longer in the spring/summer periods. I have had to charge all my last 4 vehicles periodically because of this. In the 32 months I've had the Aviator, I've accumulated a total of about 4600 miles. The previously leased 2017 Explorer Platinum had 7441 miles on it at the 3 year mark when I turned it in a year early for the Aviator.

Peter

i got mine without it. it saved me a few bucks and it would never kick off around here anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That describes my vehicles. They are used for short round trips to the stores, 10 - 20 minutes. It's not uncommon for them to sit in the garage for 3 to 4 days or longer in the spring/summer periods. I have had to charge all my last 4 vehicles periodically because of this. In the 32 months I've had the Aviator, I've accumulated a total of about 4600 miles. The previously leased 2017 Explorer Platinum had 7441 miles on it at the 3 year mark when I turned it in a year early for the Aviator.

Peter
That will more than do it. That's a double whammy. I see 4600 in about 3 months now.

When I was working away form home with my F-150, I was given a rental car on the company. I still took my truck out for a weekly long drive to keep everything working. That's when I found out that driving an hour on the freeway wasn't enough to charge the battery and the dealership replaced it.

Back