Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

Ford is the only OEM I see that allows 87 in their GTDI engines but it will pull a lot of timing. 93 is the way to go if you dont feel like mixing E85.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The start/stop was noticeable on my Focus RS, but that car wasn't really made to keep vibrations etc down. It was more annoying so I would just disable it every time I started the car, along with turning it into sport mode etc. It wouldn't make me not buy a car, but if a forscan mod was there to disable I would do it.

There are also methods to build a circuit board that reverses the enable on start, so effectively on start, it disables it and you would need to press the button to enable.

So after getting a state inspection at ford dealer, my auto start stop eliminator module started to malfunction. It repeatedly cycled off and on non stop while flashing the accompanying notice on dash. I got it to stop by pushing the AS button on console and drove home. Idk if it is a permanent malfunction. I'll try again later today.
Appears it did not like it when forscan plugged into the truck. Anyone else?

Which module did you purchase?

state inspection I would assume they plug in an odb2 scanner and pull codes? Or do you know of anything else they do?

possibly the most annoying thing about this feature is that when i pull into my driveway, the engine turns off, then when i put the transmission in park, it starts again!

another thought: what i would really like is, instead of turning the feature on/off, and having to live with whatever stupid logic the thing uses while it's on, would be a "snooze" button on the steering wheel that i could press for a one time stop/start when i know it would actually save fuel, rather than have the vehicle do it in rush hour traffic or other times when it doesn't make sense

possibly the most annoying thing about this feature is that when i pull into my driveway, the engine turns off, then when i put the transmission in park, it starts again! ...............
Although mine isn't an Explorer, I have never had the engine turn itself OFF when I pull into the garage or the driveway. I'm in my 5th month of ownership.

Peter

possibly the most annoying thing about this feature is that when i pull into my driveway, the engine turns off, then when i put the transmission in park, it starts again!

another thought: what i would really like is, instead of turning the feature on/off, and having to live with whatever stupid logic the thing uses while it's on, would be a "snooze" button on the steering wheel that i could press for a one time stop/start when i know it would actually save fuel, rather than have the vehicle do it in rush hour traffic or other times when it doesn't make sense
Mine does this as well. Turns out the solution is to turn the car off while it’s still in drive. It will automatically put the transmission in park and will not re-start the engine.

Mine does this as well. Turns out the solution is to turn the car off while it’s still in drive. It will automatically put the transmission in park and will not re-start the engine.

good to know! i never would have thought of that, after having it beaten into me in driving school to alwasy put it in park and set the parking brake before turning the engine off.

Found this on Amazon. I'm going to order it. As it is both run and brake function, it will be interesting to see if it tricks the system into thinking I have a trailer hitched and shuts off the ASS.
LED 2 inch hitch cover.jpg
CZC AUTO Red Lens Trailer Hitch Cover with 12 LED Brake Light Fit 2" Receiver

Found this on Amazon. I'm going to order it. As it is both run and brake function, it will be interesting to see if it tricks the system into thinking I have a trailer hitched and shuts off the ASS.
View attachment 179105 CZC AUTO Red Lens Trailer Hitch Cover with 12 LED Brake Light Fit 2" Receiver
“Tricking” the computers into thinking you have a trailer attached seems like a gamble with a $50,000 piece of machinery. How do you know it’s not remapping throttle, engine performance, and transmission performance to account for the potential extra load of your fake trailer? What if confusing the ECU puts unnecessary wear on the drivetrain?

View attachment 179105 CZC AUTO Red Lens Trailer Hitch Cover with 12 LED Brake Light Fit 2" Receiver

I already tried this. I ordered two different ones, one with LED bulbs and one incandescent, but both had the same issue. Yes, the vehicle thinks a trailer is attached, and will ask you how long it is, so it can reconfigure the blind spot detection. It will also turn off the rear parking sensors. But those aren't the real problem. The real problem is that these units don't produce enough resistance to convince the explorer that the lights are working properly, so as soon as you press the brake or use the turn signals, you will get a fault on the dash and the signals will go into hyper flash, then a few moments later it will prompt you to configure a new trailer. Really frustrating. Some reports of people overcoming this by putting resistors inline with the wiring, but I haven't tried that yet.

“Tricking” the computers into thinking you have a trailer attached seems like a gamble with a $50,000 piece of machinery. How do you know it’s not remapping throttle, engine performance, and transmission performance to account for the potential extra load of your fake trailer? What if confusing the ECU puts unnecessary wear on the drivetrain?

I don't think it does that. You need to deliberately put it in tow mode to get throttle response and transmission changes. But see my other reply for the things it actually does, involving the rear sensors.

I don't think it does that. You need to deliberately put it in tow mode to get throttle response and transmission changes. But see my other reply for the things it actually does, involving the rear sensors.
I know tow/haul mode does those things. Also seems to me the ECU would try to put safeguards in place if a trailer (or fake trailer) was attached without selecting tow/haul. Kind of like how Eco will give you full tilt if you mash the throttle. It does better if you select the right mode, but it will try to account for the situation it’s actually experiencing.

I would imagine there would have been plenty of pushback in the form of negative reviews should your fears materialized. Besides which, did you take into account the number of illuminated hitch covers on the market ? I am also quite sure that by now FoMoCo would have gone to great lengths via the OM to insure owners of such issues. Lastly, several of the Ford dealers in metro Dallas and Ft Worth sell these.

I already tried this. I ordered two different ones, one with LED bulbs and one incandescent, but both had the same issue. Yes, the vehicle thinks a trailer is attached, and will ask you how long it is, so it can reconfigure the blind spot detection. It will also turn off the rear parking sensors. But those aren't the real problem. The real problem is that these units don't produce enough resistance to convince the explorer that the lights are working properly, so as soon as you press the brake or use the turn signals, you will get a fault on the dash and the signals will go into hyper flash, then a few moments later it will prompt you to configure a new trailer. Really frustrating. Some reports of people overcoming this by putting resistors inline with the wiring, but I haven't tried that yet.
Lovely .......... At least I can cancel the Amazon order. Or, simply add a load resistor in line. Not a hard thing to do. I will simply let the tech at Best Buy do so for a nominal fee.

Lovely .......... At least I can cancel the Amazon order. Or, simply add a load resistor in line. Not a hard thing to do. I will simply let the tech at Best Buy do so for a nominal fee.
You can buy resistor kits for tail lights, which plug in and typically have a 50ohm resistor for each bulb/circuit.

For what you are trying to to, buying the hitch device is a waste of money. To test it well, buy only the hitch wiring adapter, super cheap, plus wiring and resistors for the circuits you are trying to imitate. Then with a little wiring labor, you can plug something in that doesn't even show outside the vehicle. Cost will be maybe $15, but the issues of setting up a trailer in the dash system will remain.

BTW, unrelated, rant;
PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module, and applies to all vehicles, 100% of all of them. The PCM is the computer for the engine etc, in all vehicles. ECM and ECU and another half dozen acronyms are certain make only terms, they do not apply to all vehicles. But they do confuse some people when discussing issues. So why use such a limited term just because your make goes by that. I prefer to speak in words that generally can be understood by all, it's easier and not as hard to learn. Example, I don't give a s*** what BMW calls their computer, or Toyota, etc etc. But I know I can call their computer a PCM and it is a proper term that anyone can easily learn and understand. Pass it around, spread good knowledge, avoid the bad, or vague.

Lastly, several of the Ford dealers in metro Dallas and Ft Worth sell these.
I’m sure the dealers sell a lot of stuff that’s not appropriate for your vehicle. I think I’d learn to live with a feature before letting some BestBuy clown cobble something together trying to trick my brand new car out of doing something it’s entirely supposed to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered the auto eliminator from TRL and used the discount code from my escape forum. Pretty excited to keep the auto/start/stop off to stop on wear and tear. I'll post more when it comes in.

Back