Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

So you're the one that voted for Whitmire :snicker:
Ahhh, so no comment on how your entire point was wrong, and the obscure little thing you tried to call out was ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL? Typical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for auto start stop, for me it is annoying. Everytime it is active, there is a delay in the car moving when I go to step on the throttle pedal. I don't care how fast it is to startup, the car is not ready to move in the time i lift my foot off the brake and hit the gas pedal. Every single time. I dont care about the 1 mpg I save.

Ever drive a car with throttle lag? It's annoying and in some cases, yes, it is a safety issue.
I haven't noticed any such delay in mine and the feature is ON all the time.

Peter

I can definitely hear and feel it, just as I could in my F150

I haven't noticed any such delay in mine and the feature is ON all the time.

Peter
Your engine/drivetrain is vastly different from the ST. For starters, the ST is not a hybrid. In an ST, one can definitely feel the AS-S when it kicks in and when the engine restarts. I imagine the Lincoln by nature is much less intrusive. The nearest Lincoln dealer to me is a good 60 mile drive. I do not want that issue.

Mine is not a hybrid Mike. I sometimes notice the engine turning OFF/ON if I'm really paying attention. When it comes ON I can hear it slightly but
there is no vibration at all. By the time I've moved my foot to the accelerator, the engine is already running. There were many times this past Winter when it didn't shut down at all. I'd say those times outweighed the times it did. It would likely be more noticeable if one was driving with the radio off.
In any case, as with other features, different owners each have various opinions on them as to like or dislike and are free to do what they want. That is why we all are unique in some way. :D

Peter

Thought the Reserve II was hybrid.
The Grand Touring has the hybrid system. I guess I should change mine to just Reserve. At one tine there was the Reserve and Reserve II plus Grand Touring. Now it appears that it is Standard, Reserve and Grand Touring.

Peter

The Grand Touring has the hybrid system. I guess I should change mine to just Reserve. At one tine there was the Reserve and Reserve II plus Grand Touring. Now it appears that it is Standard, Reserve and Grand Touring.

Peter

I bought mine 12/23, and the difference between 1 and 2 was trim and convenience packages. The salesman said the designation code was 401 and 402 respectively.

If you check the Lincoln site now you'll see that there is no Reserve II anymore. That is why I changed mine to Reserve. The other options now are Standard which was Reserve I and Grand Touring.

Peter

On my Platinum trim there is a button that allows you to disable it right next to the Mode selector knob

On my Platinum trim there is a button that allows you to disable it right next to the Mode selector knob
So does the XLT, Limited, ST as well.

All trims and the Aviator have the ability to turn AS/S OFF but the main issue here is that the default is ON so members have to turn it OFF again after every startup. Several members here are looking to turn it OFF on a more or less permanent basis so are installing products that allow them to do just that.

Peter

I'd like to try this feature.
How do I enable it on my 18 explorer platinum?

I'd like to try this feature.
How do I enable it on my 18 explorer platinum?
Your Explorer doesn't have that feature. It was introduced with the 6th gen models.

Peter

Your Explorer doesn't have that feature. It was introduced with the 6th gen models.

Peter
Only thing that interests me about the AS-S technology, is the awesome STARTER that's built to take all these restarts (Unless I missed something there) and if it can be installed on a 2nd gen Explorer. Heck, even the ABS never worked on my Taurus - and I never missed it. I trust my own judgement and reaction time more than complicated computerized systems. Have been driving since the 70s no problem yet.

Only thing that interests me about the AS-S technology, is the awesome STARTER that's built to take all these restarts (Unless I missed something there) and if it can be installed on a 2nd gen Explorer. Heck, even the ABS never worked on my Taurus - and I never missed it. I trust my own judgement and reaction time more than complicated computerized systems. Have been driving since the 70s no problem yet.
Extremely unlikely. There’d be no reason to use such an old starter model. Besides, these Ford starters are very robust.

I guarantee a properly working ABS system would out brake you.

Thanks for the info!

I don't think such is at all odd, I think as fallible humans it is quite common. But, at least, I am aware of it and own up to it. Like the Socratic Paradox, at least I know I know nothing. Most people flounder around trying to justify their irrationally held beliefs.
You sent me down a rabbit hole looking up the Socratic Paradox. Thanks...😕🧐

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extremely unlikely. There’d be no reason to use such an old starter model. Besides, these Ford starters are very robust.

I guarantee a properly working ABS system would out brake you.
I mean the new starter, that is built to withstand re-starting at every stop sign! Didn't those just come out in the last few years? About the ABS, it is the removal of driver input there - sometimes, you want to stop the wheels. Not having it (actually working) in the Taurus caused me zero problems. ABS can cause longer stopping distance.

Back