Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

The idea of stopping the engine at lights during an Arizona summer is actually pretty funny. A friend just rented a Cherokee with this tech. He was sitting at light and the A/C started blowing warm air with the ambient temp in the low 80s which is Spring weather for us. There should be an automatic override which goes in affect whenever the A/C is on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your experience mirrors mine with my Expedition and Navigator rentals which I have posted a few times for the nay sayers.

Almost same here, it was an f150 loaner I had last week. The only way I noticed it shut off was when it started back up - it was a 5.0 V8 that shook the entire truck when it started. Totally smooth otherwise though.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, this is not new vehicle tech. It just wasn't on the North American market.

The idea of stopping the engine at lights during an Arizona summer is actually pretty funny. A friend just rented a Cherokee with this tech. He was sitting at light and the A/C started blowing warm air with the ambient temp in the low 80s which is Spring weather for us. There should be an automatic override which goes in affect whenever the A/C is on.
Either that or electric AC compressors and a large battery pack.

Trouble is they haven't started doing that yet that I know of.
Electric AC systems are fully vetted. They’d even save a marginal amount of fuel, I’m sure it’s on the way.

Before anyone posts further on th system or how it operates please read the following from the 2019 expedition owners manual: Auto-Start-Stop

If the HVAC is going, the engine doesn't turn off...

Before anyone posts further on th system or how it operates please read the following from the 2019 expedition owners manual: Auto-Start-Stop

Thanks for the link!

Save a click:

fordLogo24H.png

Unique Driving Characteristics
AUTO-START-STOP
The system helps reduce fuel consumption by automatically stopping and restarting the engine when your vehicle has stopped. The engine restarts automatically when you release the brake pedal.
In some situations, your vehicle may restart automatically, for example:
  • To maintain interior comfort.
  • To recharge the battery.
Note: Power assist steering turns off when the engine is off.
Note: If your vehicle is flex fuel capable, Auto-Start-Stop will be inhibited for a short time after a refuel event while the system is verifying the fuel type being used.
WARNING
Always fully apply the parking brake. Make sure you shift into park (P) for vehicles with an automatic transmission. Switch the ignition off and remove the key whenever you leave your vehicle.
Before opening the hood or performing any maintenance, fully apply the parking brake, shift into park (P) or neutral (N) and switch the ignition off.
Always switch the ignition off before leaving the vehicle. If the ignition is switched on an automatic restart may occur at any time.
The system may require the engine to automatically restart when the auto-start-stop indicator illuminates green or flashes amber. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
The Auto-Start-Stop system status is available at a glance within the information display. See General Information.
Enabling Auto-Start-Stop
The system automatically enables every time you start your vehicle if:
  • You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button (not illuminated).
  • Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after you have initially started your vehicle.
  • You have stopped your vehicle.
  • Your foot is on the brake pedal.
  • The driver door is closed.
  • There is adequate brake vacuum.
  • The interior compartment has cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
  • The front windshield defroster is off.
  • You have not turned the steering wheel rapidly or you do not have it at a sharp angle.
  • The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
  • The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
  • The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
  • Elevation is below about 11000 ft (3,350 m).
  • Ambient temperature is moderate.
  • The trailer is not connected.
  • If you select Normal, Eco, Snow/Wet or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes.
  • You are not in 4H or 4L.
  • You have not selected Manual shift mode.
  • Hill descent control is not active.
  • You have not selected Tow haul, Sport, Sand or Mud/Rut modes.
Note: Note when in Sport mode it can be enabled by pressing the Auto-Start-Stop button.
imagen2.dll
The green Auto-Start-Stop indicator light on the instrument cluster will illuminate to indicate when the automatic engine stop occurs.
imagen2.dll
If the instrument cluster is equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it illuminates when automatic engine stop is not available due to one of the above noted conditions not being met.
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
  • You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
  • You press the accelerator pedal.
  • You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
  • The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
  • Your vehicle is moving.
  • The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
  • Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
  • The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
  • You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
  • When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
  • The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.
  • When you shift into park (P), the engine will restart.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
  • You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
  • You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
Note: You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.
Disabling Auto-Start-Stop
imagen2.dll

Press the Auto-Start-Stop button on the center console to switch the system off. The button will illuminate. Deactivating using the button lasts only 1 key cycle. Press the button again to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.
Note: If the Shift to park (P), Restart Engine message appears and the amber Auto-Start-Stop indicator light flashes, this indicates automatic restart is unavailable. You must restart the vehicle manually. See General Information.
If your vehicle is in an engine off Auto-Start-Stop, shifting from drive (D) to reverse (R) will not cause a restart if you do not press the brake pedal. The message Auto-Start-Stop Press Brake to Start Engine appears. You must press the brake pedal within 60 seconds or the system requires you to shift into park (P) and manually restart your vehicle.
2019 Expedition Owner's Manual

Your own post comparing prices;
"2019MY Explorer Sport 4WD $46,625
2020MY Explorer Sport/ST 4WD $54,740 +$8,115"

LOOKS LIKE 8K TO ME USING YOUR INFO.
NEXT.....

Either way, your objection to this particular system seems hella weird and not rooted in any fact.

Besides which, we're talking about one generation to another. There is always going to be a price increase. Pretty sure there are other features besides the auto start/stop that make the price go up as well.

Your own post comparing prices;
"2019MY Explorer Sport 4WD $46,625
2020MY Explorer Sport/ST 4WD $54,740 +$8,115"

LOOKS LIKE 8K TO ME USING YOUR INFO.
NEXT.....

You are absolutely right that it is over $8k difference for an ST. HOWEVER, all trims get the start/stop technology so the $8k is not because of start/stop... it has has NOTHING to do with it, so it has no merit in playing into the $8k price increase that you mentioned. The lowest trim model only has a $400 price increase and INCLUDES start/stop.

If the HVAC is going, the engine doesn't turn off...

This is not accurate at all. The engine DOES shut off even when the HVAC is going. Once the engine shuts off, about 5 seconds later you start to hear the HVAC fan speed slow down to the point that it is on its lowest setting. Once the engine restarts, you will hear the fan speed ramp back up again to the speed it was going prior.

This is not accurate at all. The engine DOES shut off even when the HVAC is going. Once the engine shuts off, about 5 seconds later you start to hear the HVAC fan speed slow down to the point that it is on its lowest setting. Once the engine restarts, you will hear the fan speed ramp back up again to the speed it was going prior.

Oops my bad. It won't shut off/will restart if "the interior compartment doesn't meet customer comfort with the air conditioning or heater on" ie it gets too hot or cold.

So, whatever temp you set the cabin, it will stay that way it seems.

Oops my bad. It won't shut off/will restart if "the interior compartment doesn't meet customer comfort with the air conditioning or heater on" ie it gets too hot or cold.

So, whatever temp you set the cabin, it will stay that way it seems.

Sounds about right. I know sometimes the expi/navi that I've had have restarted just sitting at a light. Always wondered why it would randomly do that (I think what you just posted is the reason). You can definitely tell the AC air turns warm as it slows BUT, you dont stay at a red light very long so not like it is enough time to make one uncomfortable.

Sounds about right. I know sometimes the expi/navi that I've had have restarted just sitting at a light. Always wondered why it would randomly do that (I think what you just posted is the reason). You can definitely tell the AC air turns warm as it slows BUT, you dont stay at a red light very long so not like it is enough time to make one uncomfortable.

I kept the AC off most of the time in the truck, so the engine shutdown did work. Got a real kick out of it starting it up again, that engine was just beastly.

Your experience mirrors mine with my Expedition and Navigator rentals which I have posted a few times for the nay sayers.
@blwnsmoke
As Alvin the Chipmunk said, "Whaddaya mean over-do it"?
imp

The auto stop feature is annoying. I’ve read that Forscan may be able to change this function to auto-off instead of auto-on. I also read about a product called autostop eliminator that has a device to accomplish this by inserting a wiring harness of sorts in the steering column. It will cost $99 and starts shipping mid October. It looks like f150 owners have given it great reviews. Anyone familiar with this device or should I hold out for someone to solve it through Forscan ?
2020 Ford Explorer Autostop Eliminator

I'm waiting for forscan. No need to waste money on harnesses to bypass a feature.

The auto stop feature is annoying. I’ve read that Forscan may be able to change this function to auto-off instead of auto-on. I also read about a product called autostop eliminator that has a device to accomplish this by inserting a wiring harness of sorts in the steering column. It will cost $99 and starts shipping mid October. It looks like f150 owners have given it great reviews. Anyone familiar with this device or should I hold out for someone to solve it through Forscan ?
2020 Ford Explorer Autostop Eliminator

I am going to use the Test version of FORScan this weekend to see if the write that Blwnsmoke tried will be retained. I think it should work, I hope it works. It is such a pain for my driving and I have to put it in Sport mode to turn it off or push the button. That is the other thing we are trying to figure out, how to retain the last drive mode on shutdown when you restart.
I will update if I find out anything.

I don't know if this has been asked or covered yet. I have had my ST for a week now and so far so good. Do enjoy it EXCEPT for the auto start/stop feature. Has anyone deactivated it yet. Or can it be done. Can the Ford service people do anything ? On my two previous ( non-Ford products ) cars you could turn it off and it was off, none of this turning it off after each start up . Pain in the ass !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if this has been asked or covered yet. I have had my ST for a week now and so far so good. Do enjoy it EXCEPT for the auto start/stop feature. Has anyone deactivated it yet. Or can it be done. Can the Ford service people do anything ? On my two previous ( non-Ford products ) cars you could turn it off and it was off, none of this turning it off after each start up . Pain in the ass !!
good luck AS/S is designed to waste gas, burn the battery up and let you get T boned making a left turn........some people ( blow up whistle blower) love to lie about the facts to cover the ford SDIQ management .......however good news and truth will prevail as 4DTech will soon have a easy module for about $100 to disable permanently.

Back