Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

Do you guys rip out your FM hd antenna and Sirius satellite antenna upon delivery too or?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you guys rip out your FM hd antenna and Sirius satellite antenna upon delivery too or?
Not sure what that has to do with the thread subject? :dunno:

Peter

Here's what drives me crazy about auto stop/start systems....

Yes, we all know that idling for long periods is inefficient, and we should be more conscientious about turning the car off while waiting for our passenger to run into the store, or whatever, but when we are in traffic, the car's computers have no way of knowing in advance if we just stopped for a train that is going to take 8 minutes to pass, or if we stopped because of a slowdown on the freeway, and will be going again in 5 seconds. Starting an engine from a stopped state means overcoming the inertia of all the moving parts, and if you recall your physics classes, kinetic energy is exponential with speed, meaning that for short stops, getting an engine up to speed again will take more energy than it would to overcome the friction to keep it idling. How short? It depends on a lot of factors, but even without knowing the answer, the fact remains that the car's computers cannot see the future, and don't know how long we will be stopped, and so under some driving conditions it's entirely possible that the start/stop will be less efficient than keeping it running, and that's not even accounting for wear on the various components, or the extra vehicle weight incurred by the over-engineering required to beef up the starting system. It's a sad state of affairs when we no longer trust people to take responsibility for their own choices, and instead try to force choices on them that might not actually be helpful.

Yeah, auto start stop is very annoying. Once someone hacks the Forscan codes we will be able to disable this option so it is not on when we start our vehicles. today I was backing out of a parking space and forgot to turn off auto rear braking. That sudden stopping might not be good for the brakes. (to disable it, it is not just 1 button, it is a sequence of delayed 3 clicks on the screen which takes like 20 seconds to dis active.

I eliminated double honking when you get out off a running engine 2020 explorer LTD with the intelligent key in your pocket by changing the following values using forscan
Disable double Honking Horn
◦ 726-63-02
◦ this line value 0001-0101-0196
◦ to this one. 0000-0101-0195

My 2020 ST has it. Unnoticeable when in use. For those that swear they'll never own a vehicle with it ? Get ready to walk or ride the bus. Eventually every vehicle other than class 8 will have it. The automotive industry needs it to meet fed specs.

My 2020 ST has it. Unnoticeable when in use. For those that swear they'll never own a vehicle with it ? Get ready to walk or ride the bus. Eventually every vehicle other than class 8 will have it. The automotive industry needs it to meet fed specs.

Actually, we'll be going full electric next. New gasoline vehicles will be phased out in Europe by 2035.

Yup. I'm all in as soon as they figure out how to provide longer distance between charges and, mandate charging stations nationwide. Esp, the nat pks. I don't feel like running out of juice in the middle of Death Valley. A part of my family actually didn't make it thru on their trek to CA way back when. Amongst my late grandmother's letters after she passed, we found communication from a cousin of hers in CA regarding the event. Really sad. All the way from eastern Europe to escape issues there. Travel all the way across the US from RI, only to lose it in sight of their final destination. Why they chose that route we'll never know. We believe the male members were seeking work in the Borax fields. They'd been miners in Europe.
Mike

There was an interesting show on Amazon Prime, where two reporters did a cross-country trip in their Tesla from San Fran all the way to NY. They basically stopped every 4-5 hours to charge for about 50 minutes at Tesla supercharger stations. Keep in mind this was years ago with an earlier Tesla version with less stations than now.

Nowadays the Teslas have better batteries, better software management, and slightly faster charging. They have lots more charging stations in the desert because of cheap solar energy, but range anxiety is a concern. Porsche's made a lot of improvements in charging technology, and the OEMs are now heavily invested in EVs including Ford and GM. GM made the announcement they are entering 2020 with ICE engines, and will be entering 2030 with all EVs. The writing is on the wall. They still need to standardize charging plugs and charging protocols.

As for the auto stop-start, there's a box in HP Tuners to shut this off in the programming. Not sure if it can be disabled via FORScan which would be great as it is far less expensive ($20 ELM327) to do so than via HPTuners (Need MPVI2 about $300 plus 4 vehicle credits about $200).

I have no success in disabling auto start stop via forscan on my 2020 explorer LTD. wonder if any one found the right code line for that feature

My auto start stop eliminator is supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait to install it. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered on a car in my lifetime!

My auto start stop eliminator is supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait to install it. This is the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered on a car in my lifetime!
Pro tip: don’t ever buy a hybrid.

Uhhhh ........ The ST has it to unless yours is a one in a million build and made it off the assy line in Chi twn w/o it.

Still not sure why all the angst. The ASS on the 6th gen is non intrusive to begin with. And, considering the ST burns prem fuel, I'll gladly take all the help I can get to boost fuel mileage. In fact, I wish ECO was the default setting.

I agree about the non-intrusive part. I seldom notice it shutting off and there are occasions where it doesn't, so it's the least of my concerns. BTW, the ST will run fine on the recommended 87 octane fuel but as the Manual says, 91 or higher will result in better overall performance. I use 91 in my Aviator.

Peter

I just run 93 octane from Costco. 91 isn't readily available here. During my drives around the US I have across a variety of octanes. But E85 blends are the best for performance especially on GTDI, more so when tuned. Like E30 to E50, mixing E85 with 93 octane.

Yes, it will run on 87 oct. The ECU will pull timing to prevent knocking. It has been proven that using 87 in an engine designed for 91/93 will in the long term, cause issues. Especially with the injectors. Bottom dweller gasoline is just that. The higher octane fuels have higher concentrations of fuel system cleaners. If one cannot afford 91/93 oct, then a lower trim pkg should have been purchased imho. Ymmv ........

An E85 mix will help with the cleaning,s almost the same as a meth injection system.

When you get a tune via SCT or HPTuners you can just disable ASS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it will run on 87 oct. The ECU will pull timing to prevent knocking. It has been proven that using 87 in an engine designed for 91/93 will in the long term, cause issues. Especially with the injectors. Bottom dweller gasoline is just that. The higher octane fuels have higher concentrations of fuel system cleaners. If one cannot afford 91/93 oct, then a lower trim pkg should have been purchased imho. Ymmv ........
higher Octane rating doesn’t necessarily equate to higher quality. Top Tier regular gas is perfectly fine. Granted, I’d run premium fuel in a vehicle that recommends it.

Back