Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

5 star will deactivate in their calibrations if you ask them to
Ask them to enable the transmission gear show it shows after the PRNDM(2) like this
Do not know why Ford chose to deactivate it in normal driving modes
I have a 2020 ST with their tunes & really made a difference:dunno:

if we could enable the view of gears in forscan id love to have that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have driven a few times now with the auto/start/stop installed. MAN is that nice to just not even have to think about it. You see the message on the cluster every start that it was disabled, thats it.

After driving with Start-Stop for a while you get used to what some are calling the "sweet spot." If you take some pressure off the brake but still maintain braking, the engine will start. Then when you're ready to go just hit the gas. I do it now without thinking when I'm pulling out into traffic or making a left turn. I'm not sure there's much advantage but it makes me feel more secure.

I find that by the time I take my foot off the brake and put it on the accelerator, the engine is already running. You can also just turn the steering wheel ever so slightly and it will start.

Peter

Some of us simply don't want it to engage at all.

Ya. Well we aren't driving a lot now, but it is just nice never thinking of it or having to feel it engage.

:D Y'all may not be. It's 18 mi for me into town to use the toilet at the truck stop. Hope'n by do'n so I won't run out of toilet paper. Not into the'ol corncob thing.

There would never be a time I traveled TO a truck stop to take a dump. I’d make a few more calls hunting that paper, and not cold calling insurance companies about hypothetical coverage.

Or, I’d put in a bidet and live the high life.

Attachments

• 9BDB26F4-E586-4BE3-9D6C-D5C5FA12F96B.jpeg
    9BDB26F4-E586-4BE3-9D6C-D5C5FA12F96B.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 86

Also, doubles as a fountain.

We still have an active two holer on the late folks farm. One of our younger siblings lives there off the grid so to speak. The old house is a post WW I era central TX wood frame two story. No central heat/air. No running water. Electricity only. Want to bath ? Draw water from the stand pipe just outside the front steps for the sink or bathtub. That was a far as the 'ol man would let the county bring the water line after giving up on the well. Paul will shut off his cellphone for weeks at a time. Then we have to call the Bell County Sheriff to make a "body check" on him. He's a heavy drinker and smoker on top of all else. His choice, his life as I see it. That's what I tell the others when they get the stupid idea of trying to tell him how he ought to live according to their beliefs.
Mike

Another thumbs-up for the Autostop Eliminator (<----LINK). Just a few minutes to install - couldn't be easier. Great product and nice to support a small business. Thanks to Travis there for making this possible.

Here's a shot of it behind the steering wheel cover. Only needed to lift the top half up and it was easy to access the original plug and harness.

20200413_132018.jpg

Another thumbs-up for the Autostop Eliminator. Just a few minutes to install - couldn't be easier. Great product and nice to support a small business. Thanks to Travis there for making this possible.

Here's a shot of it behind the steering wheel cover. Only needed to lift the top half up and it was easy to access the original plug and harness.

View attachment 314687
Once installed. What icon do you get on the dash display if any ?

Once installed. What icon do you get on the dash display if any ?

The same message comes up for a few seconds that you'd get if you selected the switch manually. Good reminder in case you actually want to turn it back on for whatever reason.

Yup, on start of the car, the message on the cluster shows it was deactivated just like if you pressed the button. The button is lit as it is off and thats it I think? It is amazing not having to remember to do that and curse at the street light ;) Now the only thing I have to remember is sport mode, but even that can sometimes be too jerky/sensitive so I usually do it only on the hwy and leave it in normal for city.

Yup, on start of the car, the message on the cluster shows it was deactivated just like if you pressed the button. The button is lit as it is off and thats it I think? It is amazing not having to remember to do that and curse at the street light ;) Now the only thing I have to remember is sport mode, but even that can sometimes be too jerky/sensitive so I usually do it only on the hwy and leave it in normal for city.
What you mean of when in spots mode ? will sport mode not work ? please clarify.

None of the modes is effected. He is simply saying that at times, he forgets to set the SUV to sport mode before putting it in D.

What you mean of when in spots mode ? will sport mode not work ? please clarify.
None of the modes is effected. He is simply saying that at times, he forgets to set the SUV to sport mode before putting it in D.

Mikey is correct. I always forget to throw the X in sport mode so it drives slow until I remember ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread was fascinating to read. I can't fathom being against this feature, as I've also drive a hybrid daily and have gotten used to my idling being actually idle. I also wish this were retrofittable as was said earlier because sitting at a light burning gas needlessly has started to irritate me. Then again, the hybrid doesn't need the engine to kicks back on to get going.
Curious if anyone has encountered any stories of this actually leading to a bad situation? I've had a few close-for-comfort encounters with would-be rear-enders but I don't get the fear of not jumping the gate fast enough in the other hypothetical situations put forward.
Also- for those with a better sense of the particulars- what's the sense in waiting for the vehicle to come to a complete stop before engaging the 'stop'? If the 'start' is as fast as they say, couldn't it just cut the engine any time the brake is pressed?

Back