• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manual(hopefully)

Hyde

Reaction score
City, State
Couer d 'Alene, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Ok, I have a 91 explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4. Thanks for the auto Eddie, lol. Anyway I would like to swap to a manual tranny. I think the hardest part would be mounting the pedal assembly and linkage.Has anyone had any experiance with this? How hard is it? Also I would like to have a manual transfer case but it looks like it would interfere with the manual tranny. Any input there? Which do you think would be more useful, manual tranny or t-case?- Hyde

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a ton of manual tranny/manual tcase Explorers out there. So it must be do-able! :p A few people have done this swap and I am sure there are some write ups on this site. Did you try searching?

I searched but couldnt find any info on swapping in the pedal assembly.

From what I remember everything will just bolt in. I know it's been a few years since anyone has done this mod (and posted about it at least). I'll see if I can find the one I am talking about...

Hey thanks man, good info in there.

Also, on a 91-94 the Auto does have a different computer. If I remember correctly the advance curve is different (shouldn't matter for you) But you will get a CEL becuase it can't see the 3/4 and OD solenoids.

You can get around it by using a pair of 33 ohm resistors where the solinoids used to be. That way the computer will still think the Auto transmission is still there.

~Mark

Back