Auto to Manual(hopefully) | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manual(hopefully)

Hyde

Reaction score
City, State
Couer d 'Alene, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Ok, I have a 91 explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4. Thanks for the auto Eddie, lol. Anyway I would like to swap to a manual tranny. I think the hardest part would be mounting the pedal assembly and linkage.Has anyone had any experiance with this? How hard is it? Also I would like to have a manual transfer case but it looks like it would interfere with the manual tranny. Any input there? Which do you think would be more useful, manual tranny or t-case?- Hyde

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
There are a ton of manual tranny/manual tcase Explorers out there. So it must be do-able! :p A few people have done this swap and I am sure there are some write ups on this site. Did you try searching?

Hyde

Reaction score
City, State
Couer d 'Alene, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
I searched but couldnt find any info on swapping in the pedal assembly.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
From what I remember everything will just bolt in. I know it's been a few years since anyone has done this mod (and posted about it at least). I'll see if I can find the one I am talking about...

Hyde

Reaction score
City, State
Couer d 'Alene, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Hey thanks man, good info in there.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Also, on a 91-94 the Auto does have a different computer. If I remember correctly the advance curve is different (shouldn't matter for you) But you will get a CEL becuase it can't see the 3/4 and OD solenoids.

You can get around it by using a pair of 33 ohm resistors where the solinoids used to be. That way the computer will still think the Auto transmission is still there.

~Mark