• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manual hub questions

IanJ

Reaction score
City, State
Eau claire,Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo LX Sport 4x4
Hi I am new here and have some questions. I am going from auto to manuel hubs on my '91 navajo. I got them from the junkyard.They came of a 90's model explorer. They are grey with a black center. no part #. when i got them they were hubs only no hardware. I asked about the hardware and he said that was it. I asked how they go on and he says you just take off the old ones and slide on the new ones. easy enough i thought. The problem is that there is a gap between rotor and the hub base of about 1/8 inch. Any idea whats going on here?:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need the hardware to do the conversion let me see if i can find the napa part numbers last time i bought the kits it was 8$ a piece
its a Dana Spicer part #28068X your gonna need 2 one for each side

Like he said ^. You need the lock nut kit for a manual hub in order for the new hubs to work. The part number listed will work for the hubs you have as well as any aftermarket hub (Warn made the factory hubs).

If you don't have a part number, look up any early Bronco with the dana 44 front end. They use the exact same lock nuts and washers. It takes two nuts (one has a peg) and one washer per side. Run on the first nut (with the peg pointing out toward you -- tighten the bearings as you nornally would (I'll give some pointers below), then slide on the washer, adjusting the nut just slightly from the pre-set location so that the peg lines up with one of the holes in the washer (and if you flip the washer you can get a different alignment). Then spin on the outer nut, and tighten it. Slide on the hubs and you are done.

Tips...

I always pre-set my bearings by cranking down the inner nut very firmly while spinning the hub. When I can barely spin the hub, I stop and back off the nut JUST ENOUGH so that the hub spins freely, but is not loose. Then, when tightening the outer nut, get a 4 foot piece of pipe, stick it over a breaker bar, and with a buddy holding the axle nut socket in place, pull on it as hard as you can. I've never had a front wheel bearing come loose when tightened in this fashion. Remember -- the inner nut needs to set the pre-load on the bearings. The outer nut needs to be as tight as you can get it.

Wow thanks a ton guys! And this too should take away the gap? There are 27 grooves and the hubs that came off a early 90's explorer model so they have to be the right ones. thanks for the part # im going to pickem up later. cool site:navajo:

Back