auto to manual locking hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto to manual locking hubs

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
well i have had the explorer for well 5 years now. I've pulled here out of hibernation. Do to my Probe only being a summer ride. The 4x4 stopped working a couple of winters ago. you can hear it engage but the wheels do nothing. its a 94 limited electrical mess. Has anyone did a How To for auto to manual hub conversion. and does anyone know were I can pick up a NEW set of manual hubs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

summitracing.com, conversion is very easy. Search site and you will find a how to. Warn, Milemarker and Superwinch are on the market. Dont forget the conversion kit you will need that seems overpriced for what it is. Maybe your transfer case is not working even though you have a light?

I got mine from summit in the beginning of Dec. Since I'm not doing and hardcore off road right now I just went with Mile Marker hubs. Here are some prices and summit part numbers.

Hubs MMK-428 $125.69
Kit MMK-95-27997 $43.69

The whole conversion took about 30-45 mins per side with a brake job.

thanks. i was in the truck this morning I pressed the 4X4 to see what happens, its been a while all that i get is a gearing noise when i drive it. got jack it up and actually see what the deal is I guess.

I had auto-hubs that wouldnt lock in, when I pushed the button they would clunk and grind, come to find out it was the left hub not engaging. I bought warn manual locking hubs and wouldnt look back. The thread on this site is awesome and they are very very easy to replace.

Back