Auto to manual swap

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Am intending to do a swap to a 5 speed, and want to know if any 1st gen tranny will work. I saw somewhere that only the 93-94 work for 94's. Also, what parts do I HAVE to have new for this swap? I know that the clutch master and slave cylinders need to be new... How long has it taken any of you to do this? What was the biggest hurdle?

How does one store a tranny? Fluid in or out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which tranny is in the explorer now, its stock. Will any model 5 speed tranny fit the auto transfer case that I have? (Navajo, mazda, ranger)??? What are the model #'s for the different vehicles??

you're stock automatic tranny = a4LD, looking for a manual m5OD to swap in............ search this forum and others, perhaps therangerstation.com for more info needed :thumbsup:

I HAVE been searching this forum. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. The ranger station doesn't have a big enough explorer forum.

tjsxplodr said:
Am intending to do a swap to a 5 speed, and want to know if any 1st gen tranny will work.
M50D-R1 is the manual trans of choice.
tjsxplodr said:
what parts do I HAVE to have new for this swap? I know that the clutch master and slave cylinders need to be new
This is about all that should be new but, the Flywheel should be in good condition. Either new, turned for a fresh surface, or in a very good condition.
tjsxplodr said:
How long has it taken any of you to do this? What was the biggest hurdle?
Hardest part for myself was the actual install of the trans to get the first couple bolts stabbed. Then the wiring was the next hard part. This all depends on how far you want to go with it. Do you want it to work like it was stock, or just working? ie...reverse lights, no cel light, no start in gear, etc...
tjsxplodr said:
How does one store a tranny? Fluid in or out?
You will drain the fluids upon removal, and will never get all the fluids out of the trans unless you tear it down pc by pc. So being stored with some fluids in it, is just fine. You can store the trans upright standing on the bell housing.

There is a sticky in the trans sub forum on the 1st gen manual conversion loaded with pics and instructions. ;)

M50D-R1 is the manual trans of choice.

This is about all that should be new but, the Flywheel should be in good condition. Either new, turned for a fresh surface, or in a very good condition.

Hardest part for myself was the actual install of the trans to get the first couple bolts stabbed. Then the wiring was the next hard part. This all depends on how far you want to go with it. Do you want it to work like it was stock, or just working? ie...reverse lights, no cel light, no start in gear, etc...

You will drain the fluids upon removal, and will never get all the fluids out of the trans unless you tear it down pc by pc. So being stored with some fluids in it, is just fine. You can store the trans upright standing on the bell housing.

Thanks gman! Now I saw the list that foxracin has put out of the parts needed, I think its pretty complete, what is a floor plate? Is there an exploded view of the transmission and its parts etc somewhere on here? Where can I find a factory shop manual, I am sure that would have what pictures I am looking for. I need a specific view of all the trans and clutch stuff to kind of have a better idea of what I'm looking to be doing.

Floor plate is the sheet metal cut out to size for the hole in the trans hump/tunnel to attach the floor shifter boots to. Yo can cut out the solid plate yourself, or swap in a stock manual plate. Either way will work.

Just look up the parts on Rockauto, Autozone or some other parts site for the pics. I think AZ has exploded views on their site.

Ahh ok gotcha. I thought that's what it was but wasn't sure. If I keep my stock auto transfer case, a manual trans should bolt up right? do I have to replace the torque converter? I saw on another thread someone asked that and one of the moderators said that the torque converter has to be removed, and so its best to replace it??
I also have seen some pics with two shifters in a swap(4x4 and shifter)...why would I need to have two shifters for my swap??

There is no Torque convertor in the manual trans. Replacing is only when you are installing the auto trans back in.

Two shifters are for when you have a manual 1354 transfer case and the manual trans. Your wanting to keep your electric shift 1354, so you will only have the stick from the trans.

Yes, your t-case will bolt up the the 4wd m5od trans. Just make sure, it is 4wd not 2wd. There is a tail housing on the end of the 4wd trans. ;)

Gotcha thanks! You have been very helpful. How heavy r these trannies? And how would I go about moving one out from under my ex?

I want everything to be stock. Lights, etc...as you were saying stock or some things not working right, i want everything to work right. I found an ecu on ebay, but can't find a wiring harness. What exactly does the wiring harness go to on the trans?

Does anyone here have an exploded view of the manual tranny pictured?

There are 3 main wires:

Neutral safety switch, reverse lights, and one other (drawing a blank)

H02 sensor/s, Drivers side.
Clutch position sensor might be on there as well for the cruise control ;)

Gotcha thanks! You have been very helpful. How heavy r these trannies? And how would I go about moving one out from under my ex?

approx 75lbs give or take.....

I'd use 4 jack stands and a decent 2.5 ton hyd jack (preferably one w/ a larger dish, not the cheapie 30-40 dollar ones that have the 2'' dish, and lose hyd pressure quickly)

buy the slave cylinder from dealer stock to alleviate any issues... use fordsvtparts PM him.... you will get a good deal.

Put it to you this way...mine is factory 5 speed, the local dealer wanted $205 for a slave.... I PM'd fordsvtparts, and I had a brand new dealer slave shipped for $140.

Yes you will spend more on a motorcraft slave vs parts store Chinese piece that is guaranteed to fail, but it's worth it in the end. Unless you WANT to pull the trans again WHEN it fails.

I got my clutch off ebay for $80 shipped after I haggled.... I have almost 1000 miles on my ebay clutch assy and ford slave, she runs and drives great.

Hope this helps... no I personally haven't had slave issues, but I have read everyone else's problems, and figured I would pass on the info I have read.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks mr cribb. I appreciate that very much. I will do what u suggested. Gman, thanks for the update on the wiring harness. I am starting to save money to do this sometime next year, hopefully in mid to late summer. Now that I know what I am looking for, I have a better chance of getting it done right the first time.

Back