Auto to Manual Tranny swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manual Tranny swap

91on37's, the picture that MJones posted is the assembly I am talking about.

MJones, thanks a ton for that picture. However, if you could check your picture I just reposted and tell me how the heck you got the bolts I circled out of the bracket without removing the entire dashboard, I will be very grateful!

Edit: My Auto pedal assembly bracket looks more like the one on the left, in which there are reinforcing metal fins. Due to the placement of these fins, I can barely get a thin walled socket on the bolt without hitting the fin.

Attachments

• PedalPictureEdit.jpg
    PedalPictureEdit.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,647

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so I managed to get the pedals out of both cars by just removing the sliding rod, but in order to get it out of the donor Explorer I cut some wiring; I couldn't get the damn thing out for the life of me.

I'm trying to install the new manual pedals in my explorer by sliding the rod into the bracket, from the clutch pedal end, with the clutch pedal still attached, and it is almost impossible with the wiring in the way there. I removed the E-Brake assembly, I have an adjustable fuse block so I dropped that down, but there is a main wiring harness section there with no quick disconnect. This wiring section goes into the firewall terminating in a white circular holder. I can force on the wiring to get it to move up enough to start the rod into the bracket, but once I do that, in order to get the wiring to slide off the pedal bracket rod, I would have to pick it up over the clutch pedal end!:frustrate

91exploreron37, Can I take the clutch pedal off of the rod it is on, or is that riveted on there in which if I tried to do that it would break? If not, how the hell did you slide that thing in the old bracket? (My Explorer is a 91, and it looks like you do have to drop the steering column to remove that bracket.)

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I used a small ratcheting wrench and got them out. It was a pain; if you take your time and don't get mad it will not be bad.

I didn't put them back in when I installed the manual pedal assembly.

Mjones, the bracket I have in my 1991 Explorer is longer and supports the steering column. I am currently trying to shimmy in the pedals into the bracket and am extremely close. BAAA!

Yea that is how the pedal bracket is in my '86 BII. It supported the steering column.

Yea the aluminum bracket and the steel bracket I dont believe are interchangeable. I unbolted the main harness that runs through the firewall, its just a 10mm bolt that you can get to from under the hood.
I dont think you can take the clutch pedal of its shaft but it is possible with alot of patience to get the clutch through there, that was literally the hardest part of the swap

its not to bad to slide the clutch pedal in as long as you drop the ebake pedal assembly and unhook the main wire harness under the hood it gives you just enough room just have to be patient with aligning the pin & bushings.

Well I finally managed to slide that ***** into the bracket. Like a moron, I thought there was no way to unbolt the main wiring harness so I took out my rear defrost/ wiper switches, unbolted a plastic wiring holder, and managed to get the main wiring harness with a little leverage love over my clutch pedal end so I could slide the clutch pedal all the way in.

Jesus I would have paid to know I could unbolt that wiring harness!

im going from a first gen explorer auto to a first gen explorer 5 speed man., anything i need to know that's not listed here?

91-92 Ex needs the ECM from a 91-92. 93-94 had different EGR set-up I believe. Just make sure you get the right ECM to go with the rest of it.

thanx for the pics they should really be a help

Yea the later models actually had an EGR system whereas the 91 and early 92s didnt have one at all and only had one O2 sensor instead of the two found on later model first gens.

Old thread but good pics in here. Specially when your upside-down looking at this bracket trying to see if your seeing it right.

Back