Auto to manual transmission conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to manual transmission conversion

Themex34

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt 4x4
Alrighty I’ve been gathering information left and right for the past year or so about an auto to manual transmission swap. I have a 95 xlt with the electronic shift transfer case and the crummy 4r55e, I’ve recently picked up a 5speed manual from a 99 ranger 4x4 (4.0 ofc). I’m sure this transmission will bolt to my engine and transmission just fine but my biggest question or concern is will I need to make any adjustments? If anyone would direct me to someone who’s similarly done a swap like this I would greatly appreciate it or if anyone has any input or suggestions I will appreciate them aswell. Transmission attached

3E3E9381-8E1C-4251-8A02-0BD9244015F4.jpeg 3334319D-A494-406E-B862-6DAC1E887D27.jpeg 13ECA8C4-FDF2-4B41-B57D-556F8DC8A906.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll need a manual computer of the same year, or a tune to flash your Automatic functions out.

@Flashflood has a thread about an auto manual conversion im pretty sur at least on 1s gen it can run with auto computer but lights will eb on and it idles higher to compensate for the TC

You are pre pats so you have it easier. But you will still need to either one program your ecm to a manual one or deal with your engine idling higher and your o/d off light blinking you till it dies lol. Or either grab the ecm and wiring harness from a manual Explorer pre pats. I decided to go the rebuild route because I have a sohc and a pats motor. So in other words pain in the butt. I think that's everything.

Alrighty I appreciate everyone’s comments and I do have a manual ecu from the same year as my explorer same engine even the same month it was built in now all I have to tackle is installation I’ve gathered most of all parts from eBay such as a flywheel, starter, plugs for my radiator since I don’t want to replace it and a clutch assembly aswell as all the other miscellaneous parts needed. I’m not too worried about reverse lights since I have a rigged up system in place for them which I will share at a later time. My main concern is this transmission is from a 99 ranger but most of my new parts such as the flywheel will fix 95-97 model explorers with the ohv engine im not sure if the sohc motors came in rangers in 99 or if it was still the ohv from the explorer

i
Alrighty I appreciate everyone’s comments and I do have a manual ecu from the same year as my explorer same engine even the same month it was built in now all I have to tackle is installation I’ve gathered most of all parts from eBay such as a flywheel, starter, plugs for my radiator since I don’t want to replace it and a clutch assembly aswell as all the other miscellaneous parts needed. I’m not too worried about reverse lights since I have a rigged up system in place for them which I will share at a later time. My main concern is this transmission is from a 99 ranger but most of my new parts such as the flywheel will fix 95-97 model explorers with the ohv engine im not sure if the sohc motors came in rangers in 99 or if it was still the ohv from the explorer
believe in 99 it was ohv still but many (sorry sccidentslly hit bold) like using the newer rnsger flywheel and clutch much better feel snd LUK only

good luk with the project ;)

Sweet I can still return my flywheel I have and I’ll get one for a 99 then so it has that better feel I appreciate it

Sweet I can still return my flywheel I have and I’ll get one for a 99 then so it has that better feel I appreciate it
lets check with @410Fortune but i beloeve the later model SOHC rangers had different fkywheel and clutch that was stroger with better feel

97 went from 6 bolt to 8 bolt crank

I don't think the trannie should matter just make sure you get a sohc flywheel, and a sohc clutch, they are different other than that you can get a pedal assembly brand new from somewhere not sure how your going to get cruise control working maybe yank that to from the ranger. Sorry all I got to say, since my 2000 is in the shop (yeah).

So my plan currently is Just to run the ohv flywheel since they did switch from 6 to 8 for the sohc. clutch and everything else is the same, as for cruise control I’ve only used it once and my dad used it twice since he got it new so I don’t mind not having it I just don’t want anything rubbing or not working properly

So my plan currently is Just to run the ohv flywheel since they did switch from 6 to 8 for the sohc. clutch and everything else is the same, as for cruise control I’ve only used it once and my dad used it twice since he got it new so I don’t mind not having it I just don’t want anything rubbing or not working properly
Did you get the manual transmission harness? You could cut and splice the auto one in your truck if you can't locate one

97 went from 6 bolt to 8 bolt crank
o really? wasnt aware, whoops! so that means then the ranger flywheel wont work with the earlier models,'good to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back