• Register Today It's free!

AUTO TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION SWAP

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi fellow Explorers, im sure this been done before but somehow I couldnt find it here in search....

Just need to know if the 1999 Explorer with OHV 4.0l engine, Manual gearbox will fit on 1997 Explorer SOHC 4.0l ?
Is the engine block the same bell housing bolt pattern?

I have a1997 Ford Explorer SOHC 4.0L but then Iam planning to but this other 1999 OHV 4.0L Ford Explorer just for parts and planning to swap my auto to manual...

Just need to know if compatible for me to go ahead and buy.... Pls let me know urgent so I dont miss out just incase someone else will buy the Explore and miss my chance, thanks guys!;)

Please Help....!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly it is the same, get the drive shaft as well.

Hello, im almost done doing a similar swap. The trans are the same, you will need a new starter and a new starter indexing plate (get the one for the 4l ranger). Everything else is the same (except the obvious manual parts and the electronics).

Hello, im almost done doing a similar swap. The trans are the same, you will need a new starter and a new starter indexing plate (get the one for the 4l ranger). Everything else is the same (except the obvious manual parts and the electronics).
Thanks! Sounds good! So i need to change the computer too right? And wiring harness?

Thank u

Sorta kinda. To do it correctly you need to swap the computer and wiring harness or have the computer reprogrammed at a dealer for a manual program. For the time being im just wiring it up to think its in neutral and that the solenoids are still attached. Not ideal but from what I've read it will do the trick!

Sorta kinda. To do it correctly you need to swap the computer and wiring harness or have the computer reprogrammed at a dealer for a manual program. For the time being im just wiring it up to think its in neutral and that the solenoids are still attached. Not ideal but from what I've read it will do the trick!
I see... but yeah maybe ill take the wiring harness and computer as I have the whole car for spares lol, thanks heaps! Cant wait to make this work and next stage is to get a manual transfer case

OH I missed that part, if you have the donor vehicle take the computer and wiring it will make your life much easier!

I see... but yeah maybe ill take the wiring harness and computer as I have the whole car for spares lol, thanks heaps! Cant wait to make this work and next stage is to get a manual transfer case
Thank you once again... is there any particular computer for the gearbox or it is the main computer of the car located on the engine bay fire wall? Thanks

The autos and manuals use different bolts for the flywheel or flex plate..anyone know what the bolts for the flywheel are?? Like m10x1.25 or something? ? Im looking for some arp replacement but ive lost my spare flywheel bolts

Not sure about the bolts. Best I could find for my year (01) the bolts were the same so thats what I used. Not sure if there is a separate computer for the trans, im pretty sure its just the main computer. Im not replacing mine just jumping some wires in the harness.

Not sure about the bolts. Best I could find for my year (01) the bolts were the same so thats what I used. Not sure if there is a separate computer for the trans, im pretty sure its just the main computer. Im not replacing mine just jumping some wires in the harness.
What wires are you jumping I need to know that

I'm not sure how this whole site works but I have similar deal going on I have a 1998 explorer with the sohc auto 4x4 and I'm converting it to manual with the parts out of a 2000 ohv 5 speed I don't know what I need to do with the wiring do I need to change computer or can I just jump a wire or 2 so I can get this thing going

I'm not sure how this whole site works but I have similar deal going on I have a 1998 explorer with the sohc auto 4x4 and I'm converting it to manual with the parts out of a 2000 ohv 5 speed I don't know what I need to do with the wiring do I need to change computer or can I just jump a wire or 2 so I can get this thing going
As I know you do not need to change computer. Only 2 wires need to reconnect to each other on the harness going to the automatic transmission. Please see automatic trans electrical diagram carefully.

Back