Auto Trani drain bolt? '91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Trani drain bolt? '91

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Wanna change the fluid and filter. I know there isn't a drain plug but is there a bolt on the Pan that drains the trani? Loosening all the bolts and 'cracking, the pan lose is just so much fun but I'm willing to sacrifice the fun of the trani fluid bath if I can just drain the fluid.

How many quarts if I drop the Pan and change out the filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to drop the pan.
I use a very large rubbermaid under bed storage thingy for this, no spill method.

You will likely drop 4 quarts with the pan drop. My advice is to flush the cooler out too while you are in there, its easy, undo the rubber hose and blow through it :)

Dont use a cheapo filter either, use Dacron, and it must be a once piece (the black ones) the silver ones with the white plastic pick up tube are junk.

Have fun!

Thanks for the filter Tip.
I'll see what NAPA offers as far as the better filter. I have a deal worked out with those guys. I have enough vehicles that they are finally willing to cut me a brake. I don't have to pay Over-the -Counter prices anymore. They usually sell good stuff

yes Napa is good, they will have the black dacron filter and gasket. I usually get them from Ford however, its like $24 for both filter and gasket.

Cool, while I'm in there I was thinking about changing some gasket...I have to do a SEARCH for what it was. The trani was rebuilt just before I bought it. but it delays a bit before shifting into reverse. Someone on here had a thread on posibly solving it by using a new style gasket.

that would be the low/reverse piston seal. I have replaced it with the double lip seal you are talking about. you can usually get it in an overhaul kit. I haven't found it sold individually any where though. Its pretty easy to change out once the pan is off.

Back