• Register Today It's free!

Auto trans not shifting when cold

Seabiscuit68

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
My otherwise very reliable transmission has begun to not shift in the morning when I leave for work. It is fine after about a minute of driving. Any ideas about what is going on? It was rebuilt about 6 years ago. Could I just need a fluid change? I have never done that to it. What do you think?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id say flush it, new filter and new fluid should do it. I spent some time in AK and the dudes up there would kick the tcase into neutral and leave the tranny in gear for a few minutes while their trucks warmed up to get all of the tranny fluid warm and running through everything. Just a thought.

That makes sense, I'll do it and report back. I'm wondering how often I'm supposed to be doing it, anyway.

How often to do a tranny flush? I'd say probably every 50,000 miles or so. If it's higher miles you might do it more frequently.

Governor is sticking. Common problem.
You can remove the tail housing to access without dropping the trans.

Study this: A4LD Governor Replacement

I ended up taking it to a trans shop I trust. They had lengthened a drive line for for my 68 Bronco years ago and I was happy with what they did. Also I didn't want to change the fluid myself, mostly because I'm getting too old to mouse around underneath it. That, and places like Jiffy lube suck. In short, all is well now. The mechanic said with the pan off, it looked really clean in there, only a little bit of metal on the magnet. Also my computer didn't have any transmission codes in storage. He said that it was obvious I hadn't changed the fluid in a long time (actually I never have). So, I accepted my mild spanking being thankful about the outcome. He recommended some conditioner for it because of my negligence which I agreed to. I have to say, I'm majorly relieved. Note to myself and others: don't ignore this maintenance point. I feel like I dodged a bullet.
Thanks all for your input and knowledge.

I hope that 'Conditioner' doesn't result in leaky seals. Some cause seals to swell for a while and while swollen they wear, the leaks show when they shrink back to original size.

Governor is sticking. Common problem.
You can remove the tail housing to access without dropping the trans.

Study this: A4LD Governor Replacement

Well, about a week later the problem came back. I now think you nailed it. I've been looking into this and so far only find used governors available. I'm contemplating doing this myself even though I hate the thought of pulling the t-case. I'll have to wait for better weather 'cause I'll have to do it outside. For now I'm shifting manually for the first few blocks until it shifts on it's own. Is there any advice you can give me? I just drop the rear driveline and the pull the t-case right? I assume I'll need a gasket for mating back up to the tailshaft. I frankly don't remember if there is a crossmember to worry about or exhaust in the way. Again, I'm not crawling under there until weather improves.
Thanks

Just run it. It is temperature related. when the weather warms up it will improve.

You don't need to replace it, just remove it and clean it. Carb cleaner and grey scotchbright.

Mine was doing this same thing too. I just changed my nasty fluid and filter and it's been shifting like new for a couple months now. Even in the NEGATIVE -25* Fargo weather.
The new fluids fresh cleaning agents must have done the trick.
This is obviously a short cut since you're not directly cleaning the governor but I take every short cut possible since my explorer is a beater lol. So far most of them work great.

Don't install a used governor. You could get a new one from WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com if the old one looks worn. It probably just needs to be cleaned out since debris could prevent it from working correctly. Take it apart, let it soak in WD-40 or valve body cleaner spray, reassemble it, and check it manually to see if it moves freely. Chemicals like brake cleaners could make the parts stick. Sonnax makes an upgraded weight.

Back