• Register Today It's free!

Auto Trans Shifting Question

treebrand

Reaction score
City, State
Blanchard, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Every morning my 93 XLT will not shift gears automatically. I have to manually shift it until it is warmed up. Once I've shifted thru all of the gears, it works well on its own. It sometimes takes a little longer to shift from one gear to another when it is really cold outside. If I shift too soon the engine will rev up like it is in neutral.

BTW, this is my first post. I'm glad I found this site, it has a lot of good information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has the transmission filter and fluid ever been changed?

what is the mileage

Oh and I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!!

mine does it too, has for years.....its a solenoid problem from what i have gathered. mine will stay in 1rs untill i shift it manually to 2nd and then will not shift to third untill ive warmed it up a little.....there is no metal contamination in my fluid and only 40K miles (very hard miles though). So basically put its a huge job to fix, or deal with it till she goes. there are a few tranny guru's in here though they'll chime in im sure

I haven't had it for very long and as far as I know the fluid and filter has not been changed. I planned to do that over Christmas break, depending on weather.

I had a problem with my auto trans where it seemed like it took a long time to shift but what was actually happening was it was shifting from 1st to 3rd. It when in to 4th and OD just fine after that. If it was in 3rd and i shifted to 2nd it would rev up like it was in neutral. I read about a dozen threads with similar problems and all kinds of suggestions, i took the easy way out and just pick up a scrapyard trans for $400. Problem solved.

Back