• Register Today It's free!

Auto trans

Mrblue

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer 4.0 eddie bau
I have a 91 explorer 4x4 4.0 with a slipping transmssion.

Will changing the fluid and filter do any good?

I just got it from a guy that had it parked at his apt, the manager was gonna have it towed so he gave it to me.

Not looking to waste money so if the fluid and filter won't do any good then I will get a used one from a wrecking yard.

Which years are compatable for the swap?

Thanks in advance for any input, Brent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing the fluid and filter won't help a slipping transmission. The only cure is a rebuild. I can look it up on Hollander when I get home, but I know that 1991 to 1994 Explorers, and Rangers with 4X4 & 4.0L (vin code X) engines will work. I think that 1991-1994 Mazda Navajos will work too. I'll post back when I can give you a list from Hollander.

Changing the fluid and filter won't help a slipping transmission. The only cure is a rebuild. I can look it up on Hollander when I get home, but I know that 1991 to 1994 Explorers, and Rangers with 4X4 & 4.0L (vin code X) engines will work. I think that 1991-1994 Mazda Navajos will work too. I'll post back when I can give you a list from Hollander.

That would be great thanks:thumbsup:

This is what Hollander lists:

EXPLORER 91-94 A.T.; 4x4
MAZDA B-4000 94 A.T.; 4x4
MAZDA NAVAJO 91-94 A.T.; 4x4
RANGER 90-94 A.T.; 6-245 (4.0L), 4x4

Hollander Notes:

4 speed A.T., A4LD
Shift levers differ. Consider labor costs before attempting swap (approx. 2-1/2 hrs.).
Three torque converters are available; '91, 92 and '93-94. Supply with correct converter.

This is what Hollander lists:

EXPLORER 91-94 A.T.; 4x4
MAZDA B-4000 94 A.T.; 4x4
MAZDA NAVAJO 91-94 A.T.; 4x4
RANGER 90-94 A.T.; 6-245 (4.0L), 4x4

Hollander Notes:

4 speed A.T., A4LD
Shift levers differ. Consider labor costs before attempting swap (approx. 2-1/2 hrs.).
Three torque converters are available; '91, 92 and '93-94. Supply with correct converter.

So can i use the converter from my 91 in one of the later model A4LD?

I think what the notes mean, is that if you get a trans from a 91, use the torque converter from a 91. If you get from a 93-94 use a torque converter from a 93-94. I don't know, but maybe they all have different tolerances, or sizes for the input shaft.

I'm sure someone would have already checked the transmission fluid level? It could be low, When my vacuum modulator went out my explorer was drinking transmission fluid. I still have seven qt's in back I've not taken out because it drank so much lol.

The person I got my explorer said the transmission was going out of it. I put in less then $20 for the modulator and a few hours pulling the seats, center console and so on. Kinda fun and interesting to say the least :p:

Start with a fluid & filter change before you replace the transmission.

Not trying to be "that guy", but if the trans is slipping (assuming the fluid is at the proper level), how would a fluid and filter help? I'm not trying to sound like I know everything, but anytime I've had one that's slipping, it's been because it's on it's way out.

Old fluid loses viscosity, and could cause clutch plates, and bands to slip. Dirty fluid obstructs the movement of valve body parts which are small, and require hydraulic pressure to function properly. These parts can't work properly if the fluid is dirty. A partially clogged filter could also cause a drop in hydraulic pressure.

Old fluid loses viscosity, and could cause clutch plates, and bands to slip. Dirty fluid obstructs the movement of valve body parts which are small, and require hydraulic pressure to function properly. These parts can't work properly if the fluid is dirty. A partially clogged filter could also cause a drop in hydraulic pressure.

The odometer reads 07957.2 , not sure if it's 100k+ or 200k+ . so is it worth a fluid and filter or not?

So I only drove it onto the trailer when I picked the truck up so it never shifted out of first. Topped off fluids and drove around the block last night, as soon as it shifts to 2nd it slips bigtime if I let off it will shift to 3rd and slips , let off and it shifts to 4th grabs a little. There is also a knocking sound, I'm hoping it's not a rod knock due to over rev from previous owner:thumbdwn:

Try a band adjustment first. The band is broken if the adjuster keeps turning without tightening up to 10 Ft/Lbs (120 In/Lbs).

Adjusted bands and it helped a little but still slipping 2nd and up whats next?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adjusted bands and it helped a little but still slipping 2nd and up whats next?:D

Rebuild it, replace it, or just deal with it.

That about sums it up.

Back