Auto transmission failure

explanger

Reaction score
City, State
Pleasanton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 EB
Transfer Case failure

Bad news, coasting down Hwy 80, and when I hit the gas, the engine just revved. :( Was able to coast off the freeway at Baxter, when I tried shifting to Reverse just heard a grinding/rattleing sound like gears trying to engage for a few seconds the silence. Same to Drive. Let it cool while I was waiting for the Tow, was able to get it into Drive as I turned the truck around but when I tried reverse again, same problem. Truck is now at AAMCO.

Does anyone have an idea on the problem and/or cost? I hope to not get ripped off. 97 SOHC 5spd Auto.

Just got a call from the Mechanic, he said there is a Transfer case failure. He says this is a known Ford design problem for the 94-98 xfer case and that he gets his rebuilds from a place in NY that fix the problem and the cost is $1850 out the door. Does this sound reaonable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When talking about that much money, I would get a second opinion as a matter of policy.

Sorry I can't help more.

1850 sounds a bit on the high side for a 4405 t-case replacement.A used one can be had for 250 at a junkyard with a warranty.Its a easy install if you want to do it yourself, and now would be a great time to find a manual shift 1354. Good luck

Thanks for the feedback. The Ex is stuck 130 miles from home so I'm kind of stuck with getting it fixed there. Well, had the credit card paid off for a while :(

I like the manual shift conversion thought but it's the wife's kid mover / family camping vehicle so she likes the auto.

I'd have to say that $1850 for a transfer case swap out sounds on the high side to me.

Back