• Register Today It's free!

Auto Vs. Manual Trans

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
I was looking at some Rangers today to use as a winter truck. I am a manual trans guy, have been since the muscle car era. but I've heard there were issues with the Mazda transmissions Ford used. Is it really a problem or is it just hype? Should I go with the automatic trans? Knowing me, I'll be banging the gears a few times!!
:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

honestly, I've never had any problem with mine. Now I don't know how cold it gets for you in the winter but last winter it got down to about 5 degrees for me and i had no problems shifting at all. yes, it may have some problems getting into gear but its nothing a little extra force cant fix.

I've never heard of problems with the 5 speed. I'd say it is more durable than the auto. I had a 93 with 4.0 5 speed and only sold it because of knee and foot problems otherwise i would have kept it. If you like the 5 speed over the auto i'd get one.

Only common weak point in the manual is the slave cylinder.

Both are weak but the auto is weaker. The biggest problem with the manual is the slave cylinder leaking, caps on top of the transmission falling out and letting all the oil out, and 3rd gear will shatter if you go out to the desert lol
The slave isn't a huge issue, my old ranger had a leaky slave. I'd just top off the fluid occasionally and all was well.

The m50D and the HD version are far more reliable than the 5r55e(auto).

M5OD was made in two versions: R1, considered light duty, and R2, medium duty. It was used in F-150 including 5.0L V-8 and 4.6L V-8, which suggests pretty good reliability, F-150 being expected by the public and Ford, to live up to it's reputation.

My '96 F-150 w/4.9L in-line 6 had M5OD, never a lick of trouble, still going strong for the neighbor who bought the truck from me.

Given the choice, I'd go manual. imp

I had a 94 Limited with A4LD and currently a 96 XLT with M5OD. Both trannys failed on me. $2400 repair on the 94, farmed it out. I got a rebuilt M5OD delivered for $500 4yrs ago, did it myself. 50,000 miles later still loving the stick.

I had a 94 Limited with A4LD and currently a 96 XLT with M5OD. Both trannys failed on me. $2400 repair on the 94, farmed it out. I got a rebuilt M5OD delivered for $500 4yrs ago, did it myself. 50,000 miles later still loving the stick.

Where'd you get the rebuilt tranny? My auto is still going strong...but I know it'll give it up eventually...

Where'd you get the rebuilt tranny? My auto is still going strong...but I know it'll give it up eventually...

http://www.karking.com/index.php/

They are up the road from San Diego. They brought it too my house in their delivery truck. Sorry, it wasn't freight. Looks like the tranny is still cheap tho.

I've had two Explorers with the M5OD. One needed a 2nd gear synchro at 205,000 miles. Otherwise they have been trouble free.

IMO, the M5OD is way more reliable than the 4R/5R automatics they put with the V6.

The manual trans is more than capable. I've got one in my ranger and in my explorer.

I will say that the ATF that I just drained out of the ranger at 215 was blacker than a nasty oil change. it didn't smell burnt, but it obviously had been overheated.

I have a guy wanting to sell me a 99 Ranger ext cab with 130K, 3.0L auto, for $1500. But I really want a stick shift. I think I'll hold out for the manual. I wanna teach my daughter how to drive a stick

I'd also hold out for a Ranger with anything but the 3.0.

The 3.0 is not a bad motor, they are super reliable (if not powerful). A 3.0 + M5OD would last forever.

Little off topic but I always wished my 5.0 Mountaineer was manual, would be fun lol

I have a guy wanting to sell me a 99 Ranger ext cab with 130K, 3.0L auto, for $1500. But I really want a stick shift. I think I'll hold out for the manual. I wanna teach my daughter how to drive a stick

The 3.0 is a good motor, but slow AF :eek:

If you're going to get a 3.0, I'd get the manual. The auto in the 3.0 is the same as the 2.3, and IMO it's not strong enough for the 4cyl much less the v6.

The 3.0 is not a bad motor, they are super reliable (if not powerful). A 3.0 + M5OD would last forever.

That's what I thought. turns out they don't like -10 degree weather after a lifetime of mis/abuse... froze the (admittedly water-filled) clutch fluid and then blew a head gasket the next week.

4R/5R are worthless. They overheat, break bands, blow solenoids left n right, throw the ECM into limp mode if you sneeze, etc...

M5OD is just a slushbox. Can take a beating, won't overheat, and is cheap to repair if needed. When a part breaks, more then likely your only needing to replace that part. When a part breaks on an Auto, your rebuilding the entire trans or throwing it out in favor of a working used unit.

Comes down to what your comfortable with driving. If money, repairs, downtime, is not a concern then maybe the auto is for you. . For reliability, and less worry, the M5OD is the way to go IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back