Auto zone shackles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto zone shackles

wow thanks for all the info guys.. so with the diagram it says space between is 3" am i mistaken or isnt the leaf springs of an X 2 1/2?
thanks
chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say, measure the inside of your stock shackles, just to make sure;)

I think 3 inches is the max width of springs u can use them on. So they fit fine on an X

I run Autozone shackles as they are, with no bolt in the middle. I have had them for about 16k miles with no problems. They lifted the rear exactly 1" on both sides. I use the truck as a daily driver with occasional offroading. So far, they have held up just fine.

i bought these and they have worked well , and there pretty decent price !!

I agree, I did put a bolt through the middle for extra strenght tho.

The Autozone shackles work fine but be careful -- I dont think they have a center support and are a little on the thin side. This is no problem for regular driving but in off-camber situatoin, the thinner material (wit the lack of a central support) allows for lateral movement -- which you dont want. And a bolt wont help these shackles either because the two sides are in shear in this situation.

You could just weld in a center support in the autozone ones, it would be easy, and would help some.

Ok so i stopped at home depot and lowes and non of them had the flatbar with a thickness of 3/8 and so i went online and found these on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=230219987827&_trksid=p3984.cWON.m313.lVI
and just ordered the 110 mm bolts for the front torsion bars from fastenal so providing everything gets here when it should i will have installed by friday and will post some pics of b4 and after

thanks for all the help guys
Chad

Stolen forum :thumbdwn:

well to be honest getting stuff from a local auto store is on the sketchy side for me because most of thier stuff is universal fit but you should find a mounty specific IMO so you can trust quality and assurance that it will fit

hey guys finally got pics and everything is done i orderd the shackles from ebay and the TT bolts from fastenal. Sorry the truck is a lil dirty :D
before
DSC00004.jpg

After
DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

110's o and forgot to ask this in the last pic you can see them hanging down i cant crank them any more or it will go over my 2" lift limit so what do you suppose i do about them being low my concern is when i am off roading they will catch on a rock and bend them or brake them off what should i do?

If those are sticking out that much and you already have the front end up as high as you need i would get some shorter bolts... was there not enough room left on the factory bolts?? Those bolts dont look threaded all the way either... did they stop on the shoulder (a.k.a., did you run out of threads?)

If those are sticking out that much and you already have the front end up as high as you need i would get some shorter bolts... was there not enough room left on the factory bolts?? Those bolts dont look threaded all the way either... did they stop on the shoulder (a.k.a., did you run out of threads?)

yea sorry that was a sill question of me to ask i should just go with the 100's but the whole bolt is threaded and the factory bolts where up all the way and was still short like a lil over 1/2"

the lifted X looks good... I'm assuming your rubbers are 31's, correct?

And does anybody know if 33's will fit with the TT/Shackles 2" lift?

Charlie, would you be able to explain this shackle diagram. Just seems like 8.5 inches bolt to bold is a wide gap? How much lift does this give the vehicle??
Thanks

it is a wide gap, but it is 3" longer than stock (5.5" O.C.)

The general rule is you will get 1/2" lift for every inch longer the shackles is, so it will give about 1.5" lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the diameter of the bolt holes in that diagram??

Cheers

Back