• Register Today It's free!

autolamp always on

ygu

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB
I am having a problem with my autolamp. I valet parked my car the other day and I guess the driver had turned the lights on with the autolamp on. When I got home and shut the car off the headlight chime went off and I noticed that he had turned the headlights on manually also. The next day I get into the car and the headlights come on, it was bright and sunny. I left the autolamp on and it stayed on. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe the sensor is busted? or wiring is loose?

Mine did something similar on a couple of occasions. I can't remember the exact sequence but it had something to do with turning on my parking lights while the Autolamp already had my headlights lit up. Next, I turned off the Autolamp switch so that I could have just my parking lamps on while waiting in line at a drive-in. When I turned my Autolamp switch back on, my headlights didn't come back on. I had to turn them on with my regular headlight switch. When I got home, I turned off my Explorer and the regular headlight switch, leaving the Autolamp switch on. I restarted it and the headlights came on with the Autolamp like they were supposed to. It had something to do with the sequence of events that I did everything but it has happened on a couple of occasions. Just turning off my Explorer and restarting it fixed it each time.

I'd disconnect the battery and see if that fixes it. I noticed my Explorer does some goofy electrical stuff sometimes too. Especially with the door ajar light.

jssong,
the sensor is on the back of the mirror, correct? Also, is there anyplace else besides the back of the mirror to check the wireing?

Back