Autolite-Xp-Iridium Spark Plugs... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autolite-Xp-Iridium Spark Plugs...

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...These are new out to the retail stores and I ran across them today...For my 91 X they are P/N XP105 and sell for $6.49 @ at Autozone...

...Does anyone else have some info or thoughts on these???..:scratch:

...This is what I could find with video..:dunno:
http://www.autolite.com/products/xpXtreme.php

Autolite: XP Iridium

racing0.jpg

...Introducing the new Autolite XP Xtreme Performance™ Spark Plugs. With an iridium-enhanced, .6 mm finewire design and patented platinum sidewire technology, these plugs provide more focused ignition for better overall ignitability and improved durability.

...Independent lab tests prove that Autolite XP Xtreme Performance™ Spark Plugs provide better overall ignitability and durability than many other premium spark plugs. By increasing the size of the flame kernel – a 21 percent bigger flame compared to that of standard plugs – the new Autolite plugs ignite more gas and air mixture inside the cylinders to deliver better overall performance. The ignition is also more focused, which provides better and faster fuel combustion, optimizing the vehicle’s spark plug performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...:scratch:...Nobody has any thoughts or info to add about these plugs???

...Where did all the Street guys go???

Iridium-enhanced

Just my opinion but, iridium plugs in general have a pretty weak story line. More "durable", better ignitability. What does "more" or "better" mean?
Agreed, iridium is a much harder material, but you don't see specific measurable improvements claimed or proven.

If they had much longer replacement intervals than platinum, abc% better fuel economy, xyz% more HP, etc. it might be a more compelling story. Plus the gap is not adjustable. You have to stick with the preset gap, and the "better"
ignitability partially compensates for having the wrong gap.

And btw, the autolite plugs are iridium "enhanced", not the pure iridium electrode like the more expensive plugs, such as NGK iridiums.

I'd stick with indexing plain ol' platinum plugs, set to the right gap.

I tried some fancy plugs once and I dunno, didn't seem to do anything as far as power or anything.
I`m a little skeptical that an air fuel mixture can be ignited "better" in a system where the explosion happens so quickly inside that enclosed space.
More durable perhaps? Plausible.

...I am happy with my Autolite platinums...I have ran other plugs like Splitfire and Bosch before in other Fords I've owned and so I understand being disapointed with High Dollar plugs...They would work great and have a shorter life, or would not be close to performing up to standards from my POV...

...To be honest, I have searched the net for their "Independent Lab Results" or comparison charts, and found nothing...:rolleyes:

...From my initial thoughts, I would hope an Iridium enhanced plug would have a longer life expectancy and perform as well if not better than the AP's...:dunno:

...I was hoping some of the guys who run Iridiums would step up and comment...

These plugs have been out for several years. Several years ago I had an '03 X xls 4.0L. At about 100k I replaced the stock platinums with the XP-103's. They came with a .045 gap, and I regapped them to .054 as recommended. Napa had recommended them. I just bought them without really thinking about it. They made a definite improvement. Better response and smoother shifting. I doubted what I was experiencing. So I bought a set of the recommended Motorcraft double platimums and tried them. The vehicle drove not nearly as well, so I put the Autolites back in and I enjoyed them for about another 60K when I totalled it last year. Now I'm driving an '06 X xls with about 40K on it. The first thing I did was go and put the XP's in it and guess what....NO DIFFERENCE...same engine. So I can't say they'll work for you, but they definitely worked for me that one time. On the '03-'05 stock forum there is a thread with a lot of feedback on these plugs.

I love how they come up with fancy names for everything..."flame kernal"...LMAO. Ridiculous.

Not knocking the product, as I know nothing about it.

Thanks guys for the info, just bought some SP wires today from Oriellys & i needed to know which SP would suite my 02 explorer best!!

Back