Automatic Dimming Mirror Compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Dimming Mirror Compatibility

Mountaineer302

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
The auto dim mirror on our 1998 Mountaineer does not funtion as it should. I've read that there has been nothing but problems with these mirrors with the slide switch. I would like to get another mirror from a newer or different vehicle. I'm not sure which ones share the same connector. Does anyone know which ones are interchangeable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did it just recently start acting up? The slide switch on my mirror went bad after 14 years. Not bad, I figure. You could go through the process of finding a different mirror, assessing the wiring/connectors, how to mount the thing, etc.. but why? And after doing all that it still may not work. I got a replacement stock mirror off Amazon - $50 or so. Plug and play. Swapped it out in 10 minutes. Good to go. Do what you want but I would think just a straight replacement would be easiest, eh?

What I am looking for is a stock Ford mirror that is a better design that is plug and play. I have never seen one of these mirrors with the slide switch that worked properly. There has to be something better that will work.

Mine works fine. I'd take it apart and see if the slide tracks need cleaned and lubed, and wiper on them needs a little springiness put back in. It could even be that a well directed shot of WD-40 fixes it by thinning out hardened grease a bit if it's petroleum rather than silicone based grease.

Any small automotive grade mechanical potentiometer is going to have wear problems over time, and due to the type and way it's integrated into the mirror form factor, no way to upgrade it to a premium industrial grade part like you could with a standard round panel mount potentiometer.

Anyway, I think your only hope besides DIY repair or replacement with another slider type is to scavenge the forums to see if anyone reports doing it differently, as it isn't a common thing to have someone try to put a radically different mirror (controls) on. If you are insistent on doing it, you may just need to rewire it to work instead of expecting plug and play, but I bet they're all using a slide switch. Who wants a knob sticking out on their mirror?

Another alternative would be to trace the relevant wires and tap into them under the dash, wiring up a separate remotely mounted potentiometer and a switch if not so integrated, then mount it on the dash, on a bracket just under the dash, or on the center console.

What I am looking for is a stock Ford mirror that is a better design that is plug and play. I have never seen one of these mirrors with the slide switch that worked properly. There has to be something better that will work.

I snagged an auto dim out of a crown vic at the jy for like 10 bux. It does have a different connector but splicing the new one in was a cinch. It has no slider just an on/off button but I haven't had any problems out of it. It also looks less bulky than the explorer mirror. Good upgrade imo.

The switch on my Crown Vic's mirror disables the auto dim function of the mirror, and has nothing to do with auto lights (which are controlled by the main light switch). How did you wire that switch in your Ex and how do you enable/disable the auto lights now?

I snagged an auto dim out of a crown vic at the jy for like 10 bux. It does have a different connector but splicing the new one in was a cinch. It has no slider just an on/off button but I haven't had any problems out of it. It also looks less bulky than the explorer mirror. Good upgrade imo.

The switch on my Crown Vic's mirror disables the auto dim function of the mirror, and has nothing to do with auto lights (which are controlled by the main light switch). How did you wire that switch in your Ex and how do you enable/disable the auto lights now?

The mirror I got did not have the auto light option. It was just the auto dim featured mirror. My X does not have auto lights so it was a perfect replacement.

That's what I meant: the rear view mirror in the Crown Vic does not control its auto lights. Instead, the Vics have an extra position on the main headlight switch. I guess that having a simpler Ex with no auto lamps is a blessing in disguise -- you have an option to use auto dim mirrors from other Fords.

The mirror I got did not have the auto light option. It was just the auto dim featured mirror. My X does not have auto lights so it was a perfect replacement.

Back