• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Hubs question

lastrep2

Reaction score
City, State
severn,md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
I'm having a problem with the driver side automatic hub making a popping noise and a loud chatter noise when making turns and disengaging 4x4.
I did the cleaning process but still having the same issue.
My question is inside the Hub the ring that turns. I thought I read that you should be able to push down on the the ring with a pvc pipe or something and it should spring back. Both my hubs are already collapses they do not spring back. I can reach in and pull up on them but they just fall back down again.
Do I need new hubs or is that what they are suppose to do.

Thanks for any help

Dave L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't anybody notice when they clean the autohubs?

I don't think many of us remember using auto hubs. That is one of the first upgrade/mods we did to our X back in the mid to late 90's.

I don't see any "how to" rebuild the auto hubs threads in the useful threads forum but there may be one that just didn't get added to the useful thread forum.

~Mark

Thanks Mark,
I don't want to rebuild them I'm just trying to figure out if they are my problem before spending money on new ones.

I got a question on manual hubs if you don't mind?
Does it hurt anything to lock them in while driving on dry roads but not switching into 4 wheel drive?

Thanks
Dave

Thanks Mark,
I don't want to rebuild them I'm just trying to figure out if they are my problem before spending money on new ones.

I got a question on manual hubs if you don't mind?
Does it hurt anything to lock them in while driving on dry roads but not switching into 4 wheel drive?

Thanks
Dave

No. because you did not lock in the Transfer case, the axles will turn but they go through the Differential which compensates for the wheels turning at different speeds as you make a turn ( just like the rear wheels).
The problem you are talking about occurs when you lock the front axle with the rear axle by engaging the transfer case.
The only thing that will suffer by engaging the Manual hubs will be gas mileage.

Thanks Tony
I will be placing a order today for Manual hubs then.

Dave

No. because you did not lock in the Transfer case, the axles will turn but they go through the Differential which compensates for the wheels turning at different speeds as you make a turn ( just like the rear wheels).
The problem you are talking about occurs when you lock the front axle with the rear axle by engaging the transfer case.
The only thing that will suffer by engaging the Manual hubs will be gas mileage.

Ditto on that.. The Only other thing I noticed is if you have a bad u-joint on the front axle shafts (or drive shaft) you will notice it when you have the hubs locked which means fix those anyway..

Otherwise, no issues other than gas mileage. I probably wouldn't leave them locked all the time, even when on long freeway drives but I have done it. I left mine locked for a week by accident. The drive to work (it was a DD back then) is 35 miles each way with speeds up to 75mph and never had an issue. I noticed they were locked when I saw my gas mileage dropped on 2 different tanks.

~Mark

Just make sure you don't have one Locked and the other unlocked. It wont hurt anything except it will work the heck out of Spider gears in the differential.

Don't forget the Nut Kit that you will need for the Manual Hub replacement.

If you have heavy snow on the ground before you leave home... lock them in and you are ready. that's fine

Back