• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Temp Control Problem

RojoBlanco

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96, 94 Ex, 01 Mtn
I have a 2001 Mountaineer with ATC. The system has defaulted to air at the defroster only, no matter which buttons I push. Fan speeds operate normally. I have a hard error code of 024 which is supposed to be blend door short. I know the blend door is working. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Also, there seems to be a color-coding system for the ATC electronic control assembly. I have found red, green and beige on the internet and the instructions for ordering say replace unit with the same color. My unit is yellow without any part number stickers at all. Can anyone verify the advice about unit color and help me out? Thanks. David.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can tell you my experiences. The first thing I would check is to see if you have vacuum at the connection at the passenger's side floor near inertia fuel cutoff switch. I had a friend who had his car worked on and they broke a vacuum line and this was the cause of all of his vents going to defrost. All vents default to defrost on loss of vacuum. Also, while I cannot remember exactly what my issue was, the codes off the EATC are not always accurate as I had one that was not what it said it was so you could have a EATC problem if you have vacuum. If you think it is the EATC, I would pull the fuse on it and reinstall to see if that clears the code.

I agree on checking the vacuum sources first. I'm interested to learn what is going to happen with these EATC's as they are now approaching 20 years of age. The electronics inside will begin to develop issues, and repair services are out there, which ones are best I don't know. I would like to suggest a man who does Mark VII electronics, but I haven't yet asked him if he'd look at my SUV units.

I suspect that the color matching is unnecessary, I've read of people swapping units with no troubles, they are supposed to be the same for a given model year.

I can tell you my experiences. The first thing I would check is to see if you have vacuum at the connection at the passenger's side floor near inertia fuel cutoff switch. I had a friend who had his car worked on and they broke a vacuum line and this was the cause of all of his vents going to defrost. All vents default to defrost on loss of vacuum. Also, while I cannot remember exactly what my issue was, the codes off the EATC are not always accurate as I had one that was not what it said it was so you could have a EATC problem if you have vacuum. If you think it is the EATC, I would pull the fuse on it and reinstall to see if that clears the code.

Thank you for your input. I'll check vacuum and see where that leads me. David.
I have a 2001 Mountaineer with ATC. The system has defaulted to air at the defroster only, no matter which buttons I push. Fan speeds operate normally. I have a hard error code of 024 which is supposed to be blend door short. I know the blend door is working. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Also, there seems to be a color-coding system for the ATC electronic control assembly. I have found red, green and beige on the internet and the instructions for ordering say replace unit with the same color. My unit is yellow without any part number stickers at all. Can anyone verify the advice about unit color and help me out? Thanks. David.
ou for your information. I'll check vacuum to verify or rule it as a problem

Thank you for your input. I'll check vacuum and see where that leads me. David.
I agree on checking the vacuum sources first. I'm interested to learn what is going to happen with these EATC's as they are now approaching 20 years of age. The electronics inside will begin to develop issues, and repair services are out there, which ones are best I don't know. I would like to suggest a man who does Mark VII electronics, but I haven't yet asked him if he'd look at my SUV units.

I suspect that the color matching is unnecessary, I've read of people swapping units with no troubles, they are supposed to be the same for a given model year.
Thanks Don. I was also wondering about the age-related issues that will crop up with the electronics. David.
ou for your information. I'll check vacuum to verify or rule it as a problem

After thoroughly checking all vacuum connections under the dash and hood I found where a mouse had professionally sawed through one. It was hidden under a number of other hoses and obstructions on the engine and was very difficult to locate. Repaired the line and all is back to normal. Thanks for the help. David.

Well done, fixed it for free.

Back