Automatic to manual conversion? Worth while? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic to manual conversion? Worth while?

Spiritwolf15x

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT Super Cab
Hello everyone, I have a basically stock '94 Explorer XLT, 4x4. It currently has the ford 4-speed automatic transmission and while it does it's job as well as can be expected, I'm starting to miss being in control of the gears.

I have a '93 Ranger with the same engine and a 5-speed manual I'm debating cannibalizing. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Is it "drive way" doable?

Thanks,

Wolf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DO IT!!!!

That is exactly how my 91 got its 5speed.

I would get everything in line and then make the swap. Then sell the auto if its in good shape.

Is there major cutting and wrenching involved or is it pretty straight forward?

It's pretty straight forward. Take one transmission out, put another one in with some slight modifications. I'm almost done with my swap - I've been taking my time. The most difficult thing I'm looking at doing is the wiring part, and that's only 'cus I have a Limited, where-as everyone else says you can just plug in the clutch position sensor into the existing loom.

Here's a really helpful thread to walk you through it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293846

It's definitely worth while since you have the donor right there and if you have the time to do it.

I agree with these guys. The hardest part is wiring it all in.

Go for the 5 speed - if its the wiring that's scaring you, it is actually pretty straightforward. There is a small section of the wiring harness (trans wiring) that can be unplugged and swapped out for the manual harness.

I did this swap a couple years back without ever pulling a trans before and it worked perfect - no CEL or poor running conditions. There are a couple great threads on here that I referenced to help me with my first swap - a couple searches should give you a solid parts list and idea of what you're getting into. PM me if you have any questions.

Back